Tow Cars

Is there a law on weight

My new baby
Total Posts: 51
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 4 years ago
Is there a law on the weight your car can tow ?
Or is it left up to the owner. Even if they know it should not tow above there tow weight ?
Total Posts: 228
Usually the vin plate has it stamped on it, can be a towing limit but it should have the gross train weight stamped on it, this is the weight of the towing vehicle plus the weight of the trailer. If the trailer is over weight and you get stopped by the boys in blue they can make you transfer items from the trailer to the car but it is a sliding scale the more overweight the trailer the more severe the boys can be, but remember you can only put items into the car provided you are not exceding the gross train weight
I'am back after 4 months without a phone line or internet, BT had to install a new cable that crosses the road to the junction box but the local council refused the easy method of removing the old cable from the trunking and made BT replace the whole of the trunking what happened to saving money?
My new baby
Just concerned about a friend he has a Nissan quashqui 1.6 petrol vista
His caravan is 1400 weight thought this was to heavy for his car ?
Total Posts: 169
hi tony, i am reading a pul lout from caravan club, and it states a nissan qashqai 1.6 deisle can tow a caravan weight of 1206 kg, so your friend needs to be aware of the danger.
First of all it depends on the model if it is a true 1.6 (there are 1.5 models) diesel then the towing capacity ranges from 1400 to 1800kg so your friends caravan of 1206kg is ok, is that the mtplw or just the miro, lets not forget also the magic 85% advice rule, but remember this is just an advice rule its not law, which is, caravan weight is 85% of the kerb weight of the towing vehicle, some people tow at 100% and over, but you must not exceed the towing limit of the vehicle this is set by the manufacturers. The 85% rule is supposed to make the best match for stability, under the 85% then the outfit becomes more stable over the 85% then its a case of the cart pushing the horse when you brake but some people can cope with that and it poses no problems but each to his own
My new baby
Thing is its PETROL NOT DIESEL , that's more my concern petrol does not have the bhp as much as diesel .?
Posted: 3 years ago
As I said the vin plate will tell him the weight of trailer he is legally allowed to tow, obviously the bhp will determine the ability to tow a certain weight but does not restrict towing of the said trailer what I mean by that is say a trailer is 1400kg is towed by the same car but with different bhp's (as can be the difference between diesel and petrol) say the petrol has a bhp of 100 and the diesel 150 the diesel will tow the trailer much easier than the petrol and be able to get up to speed a lot quicker.