See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

Tow Cars

Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer Auto 2 ltr diesel

Total Posts: 22
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
I've been very pleased with my new style Seat Alhambra (VW Sharan), Auto 2 ltr 138bhp diesel, but as my lease hire contract will be up at the end of March 2014, thought I'd go for something a little cheaper as we don't need another 7 seater.

The Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer 2 ltr diesel 163 bhp looks like it could be the one to go for. It is rated at very similar mpg as the Seat, but as it is 25% lighter than the seat and a more powerful engine, in theory it should do better than the Seat on mpg when towing.

The monthly lease hire cost is the sames as the Seat, but the initial deposit is £795, which includes having the towbar fitted, compared to £2,650 for the Seat including towbar.

Does anyone know anyone who uses this Vauxhall for towing a caravan? If so, are they happy with it? My caravan is maximum 1000 kilos, so not too heavy.
Total Posts: 122
Nice motor but before you buy have you checked the kerb weight of the astra is the van 85% match with the car and is it 75 kg tow ball nose weight. Some vauxhalls are only 50 kg noseweights and max towing on some are very low well below the kerb weight of car, with some you can only tow a 55/65% match .
According to the Vauxhall specs, the maximum towing weight (braked) with the 2 litre diesel is 1400 kilos, so no worries with my caravan. There is no mention on the website concerning noseweight, so I checked with the dealer and he made a phonecall, the result is 75 kilos.
I have found someone who has one of these cars and he assures me that with his max 1100 kilo caravan, he gets an average of 36-37mpg, which is definitely better than the 30-32mpg I get with the Seat :-)
My car is ordered and I pick it up on 30 March. I can't wait!
Hi guys. It's been a while, but with a few health problems, family matters, and things like that, I've been pretty busy.
I've got my Vauxhall, it is very nice to look at, very comfortable to drive, but a little bit louder than the Seat was due to more road noise. I suppose that is because it is much lower to the ground than the people carrier.

However, the most important thing is the economy. The car is averaging the same MPG I was getting with the Seat for local driving, but towing from Cheltenham to Bodmin in Cornwall and back is where it really shines. Although the term is "driving down to Cornwall", the actual fact is we drive UP to Cornwall, as Bodmin is considerably higher up than Cheltenham. Driving to Bodmin against a 7mph wind, we have averaged 34.8mpg, but driving back against a 9mph wind, we have averaged 36.3mpg. It feels smoother and more responsive than the Seat, no doubt due to the weight and power difference.
We have done the journey twice already, with much the same results each time, I've also done the journey without the caravan and the total for the 360 mile round trip was 52.7mpg, definitely not to be sneezed at.
Recommended :-)