See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

Tow Cars

VW Passat

Total Posts: 45
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
I bought this car after looking at previous years Caravan Club Towcar of the Year results.

Weighing in at 1530kg, it'll tow lots of 'vans. Our Elddis at 1300kg quite easily.

It's a 2.0L diesel Hi-line model, automatic and the most luxurious car I've ever had.

Solo, I can get 60mpg on a steady motorway run, dropping to 40 day to day commuting. Towing, it drops to 32mpg, which, by all accounts is good.
Total Posts: 22
That is the same engine/transmission unit that I have in my 2011 Seat Alhambra (same as the newest shape VW Sharan). Weighs a shade under two tonnes. Solo official figures is up to 57.6mpg, we have actually achieved 53.4mpg. Towing our old Elddis 15 footer 1150kg we averaged 28 - 30mpg, and with our current 13 foot van (1000kg) we get 30 - 31mpg, which is pretty good considering the weight of the car. Got to love those VW 138 HP 2.0 diesels :-)
Total Posts: 122
Hi Folks all great motors built byVW but all suffer from the same problem which is a common fault across the range THE CLUTCH I personally suffered with mySkoda Scout My next door neighbour Audi 2L estate, Passat,s where know for it. MY garage owner informs me he has repaired the lot VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda the problem lies with the Fly wheel it cracks and breaks up eventually but by this time you already need new clutch parts bearings etc + fly wheel Average price by main dealer £1800- £2000 done by vat paying garage £1100 - £1200 using genuine parts.
Total Posts: 22
Fortunately, the automatic transmission versions don't suffer from that problem. Also, the VW auto transmission vehicles are only rated at about 1 or 2 mpg less than the manual versions, whereas most other makes of auto can be up to 10 mpg less than the manuals.