Storage

To cover or not to cover?

Total Posts: 1
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
We have just returned from the show at the NEC where we saw and were interested in some winter caravan covers made from a soft and breathable material.
Has anybody any experience of covering their van over winter and any helpful tips please. Pro's and Cons.

Many thanks.
Total Posts: 45
I was wondering too recently. I looked around the storage yards locally and about 1% of vans were covered up.

I asked at a caravan repair centre what they thought and they were of the opinion that it's very easy to get a bit of grit on the cover, scratching some part of the van. Also, it's only the top quality/price covers that have any real claim to be breathable. If damp is introduced by using a cover, you don't have any recourse with the supplier, as it would be difficult to prove culpability.
Total Posts: 9
Of course you have to clean the van and be dry before putting your cover on. Take my van to the local hand car wash, only charge me a tenner for a shampoo and set Ha-Ha!
I use one and I must say it is so nice to uncover at the beginning of the season to see a nice clean caravan!
Total Posts: 228
Give it a good wash then apply a good car wax but do not polish it off, then come the summer polish the wax to a nice shine.Notice I said wax and not a resin polish.
If you are not very careful when putting a cover on if it contacts the ground can pick up dirt and scratch acrylic windows which are very easily scratched.
Total Posts: 25
Posted: 4 years ago
Not very keen on covers unless the van is stored in a very sheltered place. This is because they move and when they move they will rub the edges of the van. I have had a couple of customers who have had covers rub right through the gel coat. I did recently have a chance to see the blurb that came with a caravan cover and was most amused to see that they don't warranty against bad weather, my amusement came form thinking of all the owners of these covers watching for storm warnings on the TV and nipping down to the storage and whipping off their van covers???????.
As for the ten quid van wash remember the saying " You get what you pay for"
Total Posts: 169
Posted: 4 years ago
was told there could be problems if cover gets loose it could cause scratches, so i give mine a good wash and wax, and a spry over with fentons winter spray. then at the start of the season another wash brings it up to a good condition