Sites

Touring Europe

Total Posts: 155
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
Ok let's tour abroad.
How many of you want to but are scared off doing so by the stories you hear about.
For the last 3 years I have gone to Europe without a problem and we overnight on motorway services.
Yes we do take extra care, I always put the hitchlock and wheel clamp on when we stop for the night.
Always fit the hitchlock when you stop if your leaving your outfit unattended.
Plan your route to fit your needs, there are a lot of site near to major routes, many of these will take ACSI cards or Camping cheques when touring in low/mid seasons, the seasons differ from here and in most areas the last week in August is covered oh both schemes.
We did 9 nights in Italy on Lake Garda and 3 nights in Paris for 155.40, cheap for 12 nights on good sites in June.
We have also done France, Germany, Belgium, Hollend and Luxembourg.
We have never had any problems and do not envisage any for next year.
If you are not sure team up with others who are going, but do it, it beautiful over there.
Total Posts: 67
I would agree with nearly everything you say, except overnighting on motorway services. I'm not a believer in gas attacks, but caravanners are very vulnerable on a services and there is little point when there are good sites everywhere.

The other factor is that the services are very noisy and very busy. The exceptiions are the smaller aires without any real services, but these can be dangerous even during the day.

You have obviously got away with it for the last three years and I hope your luck holds.
Total Posts: 9
We have been thinking of getting abroad for years and this advice is all coming in extremely handy! (Another success by those on the forum here) But my question is which do you use to get over the channel? We are looking at the Ferry or Eurostar, any recommendations?
Total Posts: 314
been looking my self & the Eurostar was cheapest by about £50 at the time of year we want to go, but I always feel the ride on a ferry is part of the holiday, any thoughts??
Total Posts: 3
We hope to go to Europe this summer after the last washout. I've been to North and Mid France without any snags before, and loved every minute of it.

However; this year we'll be taking 3 dogs under the pet passport scheme and I'm having lots of difficulty in finding sites that openly accept the little darlings. Any advice or experiences out there please?

We always overnight in a caravan site for piece and security.

In response to Bill1, we're doing Dover/Calais as it's the shortest hop where the dogs are left unattended, but we'd like to go via Eurostar if we could.
Total Posts: 155
Ferry or tunnel, the easiest way to choose is price.
Yes the tunnel is fast but its only an hour difference to Calais.

Yes it can be risky staying on motorway services but we only do it on main services where the parking area is near to the main building unless there is a site nearby.
Total Posts: 314
Some good ideas in this months (Dec) practical caravan mag on touring europe, it even had some sites that are open all year round inthere for those that were asking.
Total Posts: 2
Hello,
Touring Europe, wonderful idea and experience. We did it for the first time two years ago... Belgium, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Serbia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia... mountains, seaside, forests, different European cultures... all in all over 3000 miles round trip. Would do it again. Lovely experience, so much to see, beautiful weather and it did not “break the bank” . My wife and two daughters (14 and 10 at the time) loved it. Our caravan was quite old, over 20 years. Since than we got a newer caravan (21st century one) Bailey Pageant Moselle, and we are going again all four of us.
Just few words of advice, clean your car radiator with descaler, change the coolant, take out Caravan Club’s “Red Pennant” insurance and enjoy your experience it is worth it.
Use caravan sites for overnight stops, they are listed in Caravan Europe 1&2.
Good luck
Total Posts: 102
What you say about refurbishing your car radiator is absolutely right Ticijan. We had problems travelling back from Spain from Cadiz via Salamanca to Santander. There is a massive haul to tow your van up just before Salamanca and our car started overheating. We crawled the last few miles at about 15mph to keep the temperature down. When we reached our campsite just outside Salamanca, the very helpful owner arranged for us to take the car to a local garage for them to look at. We thought one of the two cooling fans had gone but no. The radiator was simply coated in dust. The garage was very thorough. They hosed it down and said loads of mud and dust came off and they only charged us 20 Euros to do it. Excellent service and a lesson we will remember.