See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

Sites

Wild Camping in a Caravan

Total Posts: 39
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 7 years ago
Hi, not sure if this post should be here in this section, but here it is anyway?!?!

I was wondering has anyone ever experienced any 'wild' camping in their caravan as a friend & I would really like to take our kids on a true adventure. Back to the basics type, find somewhere next to a river / forest to fish, swim, hike, campfires and have some quality time with nature.

May just be a pipe dream but I'ld be really interested if anyone has any experience with this time of caravanning or just any ideal locations. Thanx guys

Steve
Have a look at some of the caravan club CL sites, quite a few of them only have a water point and toilet emptying point. I have stayed on loads of these very basic sites and I'm often the only one there in splendid isolation! Most other people seem to want lots of facilities so those of us who don't reap the benefits. I don't think that "wild camping" is legal in any part of the UK as all land is registered to someone although I'm willing to be proved wrong on that point!
Total Posts: 39
Hi, yes I'm pretty sure you're correct. As far as I'm led to believe almost all of England is 'owned' by someone and unless you have the landowners permission you may be moved on. However I am also led to believe that there are parts of Exmoor that the powers that be turn a blind eye for short stop overs in certain places. I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere else - apart from Scotland. Wild camping seems to be accepted there but it's a very very long haul for a weekend from Hampshire. (haha).

Thanks for your reply - happy camping & regards ~Steve~
Total Posts: 1
Hi there, we go wild camping in ireland every year. Back to nature on a quiet unspoilt site. Loads of space between pitches. Child protection policy in place. Own private beach, swimming fishing etc. Fantastic scenery. If you'd like to know more I can pas the details on. KJ
Posted: 6 years ago
Hi Steve, I am not sure we would be 'wild' or adventurous enough for you. We have a small site in Shropshire. There are no hook ups here but we would encourage cooking on our camp fire and maybe a night in the gypsey wagon.
We are located outside a quiet village, far from main roads and motorways on a small farm where we aim to be self sufficient and eat out own produce.
Roz Hill
Hi Katie, yourtrips to Ireland sound wonderful. I have lovely memories of the West Coast around Dingle Bay and the Ring of Kerry. We have talked about buying another Campervan, I would love to go back. Owning our own site and raising livestock does limit us abit tho....
Gnome :-) I see you enjoy the basic, if we are not too far then you would be welcome!!
Roz (Shropshire)
Total Posts: 3
Hi Steve, you're quite correct, "wild" camping is permitted in Scotland since the introduction of the Scottish Outdoor Access Code a few years ago. However, the access laws that go with the SOAC specifically exclude anything motorised, so unless you're going to push your 'van, it won't count as wild camping! Most places in Scotland as elsewhere do not allow overnight stays by motorised vehicles, but you can find secluded areas where you won't get moved on, especially for a night or two. It depends how wild you want to go - try the foreshore of Loch Lomond and expect a warden to move you on pretty quickly, but go up to something like Loch Garry or somewhere more remote, and you're unlikely to be disturbed.
Enjoy it, wherever you go!
Steve (Central Scotland)
Total Posts: 2
The basic problem now with wild camping is that every land owner is quite rightly suspicious of campers because of the so called 'Travellers', who have ruined so many places. I used to 'wild' caravan in Scotland many years ago, when proper campsites were rare, there were numerous spots, usually disused roads known as "Wade's roads" after the English General who caused them to be built after the last Jacobite uprising. These meandered through many valleys, but have been replaced by modern and wider roads. They provided good hard standing, with easy access, and were usually found in valleys near to rivers etc. Unfortunately, after a 'visit' by the Travellers several years ago most of these spots are now obstructed by posts and large boulders. The difference is Scots law compared to English was that there the owner of the land or his agent had to tell you that camping was not allowed, whereas in England you have to get permission first.
I would suggest you find a likely area locally and approach the local farmer to see if he has a corner of a field you could use, you may be pleasantly surprised, or at least pointed in the direction of some other farmer who could help, especially if you intend to pay a sum to do so. Beware as always if you do go off road that if you get your outfit stuck you could find it expensive to recover, and may habe invalidated your vehicle insurance!
Total Posts: 102
In France there are loads of camping-a-la-ferme that are often basic sites so it is almost like wild caravanning.
Total Posts: 6
Hi all.
My wife and I are members of the Camping & Caravanning club and, although we have never "wild camped" in our caravan, almost never visit proper sites, preferring to camp with our DA on fields with minimal facilities. Unfortunately, our traveller counterparts, with their total disregard for the environments that they illegally take over, we are viewed very suspiciously by non caravanners. I wish you the best of luck with your back to nature Caravanning, Steve, but would add that, if you don't find anywhere, your local DA will welcome you with open arms and if you ask them, will give you the details of the Camping & Caravanning Youth Section for the kids. Happy camping
Regards
Vince