See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

Security

Insurance Small Print

Total Posts: 17
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
HAving closely read the small print of my insurance, it does state that as I have told them I use a hitch lock then whilst on a site I must put this on, I see so many people who dont and last weeks several leaving their caravans on sites for the day whilst they went out with no security measures at all, check your policy and stay safe
Total Posts: 270
Evening, don't remember seeing your name up before, if not welcome to the club, you're right, there are a lot of vans including new ones that if they are insured no doubt that is also part of the small print of their contacts too, personally, I put on the hitch lock at all times including towing so when I un-hitch it's there already and I also put on the axle lock and another wheel clamp on the opposite side so at least the insurance company can't say I made an effort to secure our van.
Ozzy
Total Posts: 155
Every time we set up on site the hitch lock and the wheel clamp are put onur van, also when we stop at services the hitch lock is fitted while the van is still hitched up.
It does not matter if it is an insurance requirement common sense should dictate you have spent a lot of money why would you throw it away for a few seconds it takes to secure your van.
Total Posts: 39
It does vary from one insurance company to another. One company I was with insisted that two locks were fitted (hitch lock and wheel clamp) if the caravan would be left unattended for more than 24 hours, but for shorter periods only one lock had to be fitted and for periods of 20 minutes or less, required no locks at all. Another company required two locks to be fitted at all times.
Total Posts: 314
Why would anyone not put the locks on anytime they pitch up?? it only takes 2 mins, I wouldn't leave a £15,000 car unlocked on site would you? so why a van??
It depends on the site really whether people fit wheel clamps, locks and hitch locks. I cannot remember the last time I saw either used on a rally field.
Total Posts: 314
It only takes a few mins to put the locks on, it also only takes a few mins to hitch up & take a van!! just because there is a rally on doesn't mean that its safe to leave it unlocked.
I didn't say it was safe, but if someone did hitch up and drive away during a rally, particularly if the caravan was being towed away by an unfamiliar car then someone would be asking questions.
Total Posts: 270
I think that all owners that insure their caravans should follow the letter of the 'small print' of the policies at all times whether on a rally or indeed on a commercial site, without checking I think it reads to the tune that any time the van is not connected to the towing vehicle the security device should be fitted. I have no doubt that some insurance companies would use this to invalidate an accident of fire claim if the conditions were'nt met.