Security

security for insurance grrr banging my head

Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
i have recently insured my rv trailer with towergate insurance and for the insurance i must have a chassis lock (this wont fit on my twin axle rv trailer ) then we concluded that a tracker and thiefbeaters would be sufficiant as its insured new for old 26000,i have recieve the policy and it states unless i have one of the following if stolen wont be insured .

-alko chassis wheel lock
-bull dog max
-sas gridlock
sas wheel lock diamond
fullstop excalibur

any suggestions greatly appreciated or another insurer i dont wanna pay 300 pound to thiefbeaters monday if theres another solution i was thinking the diamond wheel clamp my alloys are 14 inch
how big are the wheels ? i would use bulldog euroclamps on one side
Total Posts: 270
Evening Nicholas, did you get sorted??
Ozz
Total Posts: 56
I bought my SAS wheelclamp through e-bay and paid a very good price for it. First trip away though I have lost the lock barrel which removes on the key, I took it off the key and dropped it back in the storage box. anyone know where I can get a replacement, those on e-bay and at the SAS site seem to be oval, mine was round.
Total Posts: 270
It may not help but have you tried your local locksmith if you have one close by, they may be able to suggest or maybe even fabricate something for you, also if you take a pic of the clamp and ring SAS direct they might be able to help you.
Ozzy
Total Posts: 110
Are there no code numbers or serial numbers on it that you may be able to quote and maybe they could help
good luck !!
Hey OldSnowDrop
Hi there, just wondered which wheel clamp it you have. We retail SAS products and may be able to help with your lock issue.
Total Posts: 56
I got a replacement lock through SAS £19.99 it is a tight fit, but when I picked up the wheelclamp to see if I can adjust it to fit, the old lock fell out of the frame of the wheel clamp. Doh...
Total Posts: 14
Posted: 5 years ago
Just to throw a spanner in the works!
If the van is stolen how can the insurance company prove you didn't have the appropriate security locks in place??
I have yet to find any lock that can't be beaten given time, if they go to all that trouble and take the remains or evidence with them whom can prove you haven't taken the relevant measures?
Cheers
John
Total Posts: 9
I had the same issue with my Insurance, after speaking to them over at Towergate they concluded that actually that was an endorsment not taken off the policy (slight admin oversight), I'd just double check with them!

D
Total Posts: 122
I received a quote in post Thursday from different insurer its £10 higher than last year, they want it to start amonth before my present insurance finishes, says I have no security which is a load horse manure and charge me £33,50 for taking a policy out on my behaif wiyh AXA insurance. I have a Winter-Hof 300 hitch with ball and lock. Bulldog wheel clamp and leveler two diferent turret keys with this item pir intruder alarm worked of key fob. chris reg steady locks back end. they say its not same because i dont have on of those CR#P Alko wheel locks fitted five minutes with mini grinder and your away. look in back of Practical caravan mag there is loads for sale
Total Posts: 155
It's amazing that everything alko makes is automatically the best you can get.
There are a large amount of security devices on the market that just as good.
It's about time insurance companies stopped this restrictive practice.
Total Posts: 12
The insurance companies know damm well that no matter what you put on a van in the way of security if the thief wants your van then they will have it. I have first hand knowledge of this as had a van stolen that had just about everything including the kitchen sink by way of security and it still went. So don't assume that by buying expensive security locks it will stop you losing your van it wont.
Total Posts: 228
Problem is you have got to comply with the insurers requests to be able to insure your caravan or any other item for that matter, they have the monopoly in that matter and can spit there dummy out if you are not prepared to comply with what they want, they are getting the business so unless everyone is prepared to stand up and be counted and go to competitors nothing is going to change.