Maintenance

when setting up?

Total Posts: 51
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
Ihave had a van for nearly 10 years and got a new adria last year.

But..

When you set up onsite how hard do you wind the legs down?

I know its a beginner's question but i have never seen it explained in any of the newby beginner's guides to caravaning.

Just sitting hear thinking about it.

I'm not sure if I am trying to wind them down too much?
Total Posts: 228
The corner steadies, as the name implies, are just that they should not be used to jack up the van ie if the ground is uneven and I mean from side to side not front to back, the caravan should be leveled out using ramps then the steadies wound down to steady it, if you lift the wheels off the ground using the steadies then you could potentially punch holes through the floor of your van.
Total Posts: 190
The corner legs are steadies only and not an effective means of levelling. It is actually very hard work lifting a caravan with them.

To level front to back use the jockey wheel. To level side to side tow it onto blocks. When its level drop the legs to level it up.
Perhaps how tight would have been a better way of putting it.
No problems getting the van level. Its just the rocking inside. I'm always conscious I'm putting too much pressure on the steadies, but I still get some movement while moving aroud inside. Its not a lot, but notice,
Total Posts: 228
Are you sure it's not the sponge soles on your slippers, only joking, how steady your van is, I would say, depends on 3 things, how firm the ground is under the steadies, the area that is in contact with the ground(the larger the better)and the pressure the legs put on the ground , how much that is would depend on the individual but not enough so that you are lifting the van off the ground, slightly raising it would be enough I should think.
Total Posts: 72
when we got our van approx. 2 years ago we were told site the van with the legs just touching the ground or adjust the legs as required to get the van level... once its about right give the leg an extra 2 turns.... seem to work Ok so far.
"An extra two turns" that's a great suggestion. Will try that. Thanks
Total Posts: 7
Bit late on this one as I don't always open the newsletter. Question are you using pads on the end of the steadies? If only the legs on the ground then this could (subject to firmness of ground) give you the symptoms you describe. I carry 4 6 x 6 x 3/4 squares of external grade plywood to drop my steadies on and have no probs
Total Posts: 1
Down 'till they are 'firm' then 1 revolution!
Total Posts: 18
I use a DeWalt drill set to number 3 the high speed gearing, the drill stops before any major torque applied it sure as hell couldn't lift the van maybe on the lowest speed number 1 it could start to lift the caravan, but it's all down to common sense and the feel put them down till they bite then an extra turn should do

Being a builder I always chuck in some wooden blocks from my scaffolding kit, joist off cuts about 12" x 9" x 3" before you say that's to thick at times I have had to put two or three on top of each other to level up. About 4 months ago we had got on a good pitch but good old slope, even with the steadies right down to their max they where still an 8" gap between them and the ground, so one side I built up with 3 blocks the other side because I only had one block left I used the spare wheel from the caravan and a board on top of the wheel, the rear of the caravan was almost touching the ground so couldn't get any blocks under so just used the plastic feet that hang on the steadies on their own, oh if you start cracking these plastic feet then you are over doing things.