Maintenance

electric corner steadis

Total Posts: 51
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
Hi all I have been looking in to electric caravan corner steadies as I am lazy.
First thing to surprise me was the lack of them for sale.
Alko do one for around 1500 , not sure on the price of the kronings one and cant find a caralevel price any where.. now considering I can get a 12 volt drill from argos for less than 15 quid I wondered about making one myself. Any one have any ideas/ suggestions.
Total Posts: 314
I always use the drill & a extended socket I got of e-bay for £2-99, works a treat.
Already had the drill & 2 battery's so £2-99 did it.
Total Posts: 28
you making a 12v drill?
Total Posts: 228
I bought one from Aldi was about as much use as an elastic band, so I bought a Dewalt boy does that have some power it winds the steadies up and down no bother and also winds the mover in and out but if you are not careful can break your wrist.
I was thinking of using 4 electric drills permanently mounted and controlled by one switch to all wind down together to the same torque setting, then to go back up again
problem is what if the caravan were on uneven ground, on the same torque setting the drill that was on the ground would be clicking away till the others caught up and of course the weight but if that was no problem then ok apart from what I said about the torque.
So how about 4 seperate up n downs. Any ideas on possible gearboxes. What about trying to do it properly, get motors and gearboxes . Home position switches would be easy. Any thoughts on down force limiting?
4 separate motors and possibly gearboxes if the motors were'nt strong enough should work, then you could put switches on the 4 individual corners thus gaining control over each motor that would also relinquish the need to limit the downward force of the motors, but remember it's not advisable to actually lift the van with the corner steadies, as the name implies they are just steadies, good luck in your endeavours, if you manage to accomplish what you intend to do post your success
Have been thinking about the gearboxes and come to the conclusion that they would be a must, finding motors to impart a decent pressure on the ground to steady the caravan would be hard to do also the power they would pull from the battery to do that "ouch" , gearboxes is the way to go.