See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

Maintenance

Cleaning your caravan exterior

Total Posts: 72
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
Thought I would start a forum for passing on info on products and tips for clean the exterior of your caravan.

I have had my caravan for approx two years now and tried various things to clean it but we have now found a dry wash system (no water used) that is great. Its called Greased Lightening Showroom Shine it can be purchased online or various traders (we got ours from JTF). Spray on and wipe off even gets rid of those dark water run staines no problem.
If you haven't tried it it is good stuff plus it also appears to make the caravan stay cleaner for longer.
Total Posts: 25
I am not convinced about these no water products. Long term all it can do is wreck your paintwork, all that dirt and grit has to go somewhere and if your rubbing it into the paintwork it can't be doing it any good. There is no substitute for water and lots of it when it comes to cleaning caravans and motorhomes along with a decent washNwax
Total Posts: 72
I thought that as well to start with and wouldn't use on my car but after using it for a few years now on my black Saab convertible (summer car) I can honestly say I'm converted. No scratches from using it, in fact I have scratched it more with my watch, rings and keys...
But your Saab has a nice protective laquer layer, caravan don't
Total Posts: 26
I have used greased lightning on car and caravan as a Qulity engineer i was very sceptical but it does work!
Total Posts: 228
I myself have never tried it, but it will probably get some rave reviews, I am a bit sceptical about it, as someone else said, if the surface paintwork has dirt on it and the dirt has particles of grit in it then I would imagine as you are not actually washing it off before you put the polish on then I would have thought that scratched paintwork would be the result but I do not know. My stepson has tried some sort of dry wash on the new Nissan Juke he has on lease from Nissan I could not see any scratches on it but the car is white so would be hard to see.
Total Posts: 51
I have got some dry wash but have not used it on the van yet. It just seems to be too much hard work compared with soapy water and soft brush. It takes so little time to do that. Hand spray on then wipe off? Too much elbow grease required.
Total Posts: 28
I have seen the Demos of this and similar products but the vehicles are usually not what I call dirty. They usually are just grubby-ish. I would like to see it used on a caravan that has had a week sitting under the trees on a site followed by a 250 mile trip down the MI, M25, M3, on a weekday behind the truckers.
I am sorry but I will not be using it, I am an old stick in the mud my children tell me so!
Perhaps they ought to use some on me!
Total Posts: 155
If you want something that works on dirty or mouldy vans try Pampervan it is great and can be used on any part of your van including soft furnishings.
It is also harmless to the environment as is made from natural sources.
That Pampervan stuff looks handy I wonder if they will bung me a freeby. One of the first things I do when valeting a caravan or motorhome is apply a snowfoam and let it dwell, this will loosen up all the dirt so when I then rinse it off it will take a good proportion of dirt with it.So all the abrasive stuff is washed away without touching the van with any thing harsh, so no scratching
Total Posts: 1
I was very sceptical about using these waterless cleaning products on my caravan. I called into a showroom and asked what they recommended to clean a really dirty caravan. They told me about the waterless product. I expressed my concerns and the salesman took me outside and demonstrated how it worked on his own really dirty car and on a caravan that had been taken in part exchange. I was impressed. I was even more impressed when I returned from a week in Norfolk recently where I had had to tow the van over a road that was just being resurfaced. The front of the van got covered in tar right up to the top of the front window. I couldn't clean the van for about eight days then I set about it with a waterless product and the microfibre cloths. The hardened tar was removed like magic. The van is now showroom clean - but the cloths were ruined but I'm not sceptical any more.
Total Posts: 56
Soap and water, then a good coat of Auto Glym Resin high gloss polish. Next clean no problems with getting the dirt off and used the auto glym shampoo wax. Looks like new
Waterless does seem to becoming more popular. But I've yet to see well respected detailer and valeters use waterless products. Until they become widely adopted I'd simply prefer water unless it's not possible.
Total Posts: 102
I'm with OldSnowdrop who uses soap and water and then AutoGlym products. We have tried the waterless but soap and water is cheaper and just as effective.
Total Posts: 190
Plenty of warm water with a shampoo followed by McGuires polish. Faultless finish.... The polish isn't cheap but it is brilliant. Motorhomevalet
.co.uk has just done our van and the finish is wonderful.
Total Posts: 228
the best product by far to polish any car or caravan is pure carnuba wax problem is it's expensive and dose'nt go very far.
Total Posts: 27
We use dry wash on our Caravan it's
Brilliant have had our van over 2 years
Now I can honestly recommend it it didn't
Scratch leaves a brilliant shine and its
So easy to use we have been using it
Since we got the Caravan means no
Messy water buckets or hoses and can
Be cleaned on a camping site
Total Posts: 18
For me a good wash and wax with MER, MER makes short work of the black streeks
Total Posts: 6
I hope this link helps with cleaning and maintaining your caravan paintwork, Plexi Glass & Gel Coat.
http://www.bulletpolish.co.uk/pages/Best-Caravan-Polishes-Waxes
NO Silicone in these products unlike most others on the market including "Waterless Washes"
Total Posts: 15
Hi All, I've just tried the Care-avan cleaner on my Hymer Nova and as it say's on the blurb easy on easy off (so it's my fault it's raining) but if the black streaks are easy to remove after polishing I'm glad of that. One thing I did notice when using the polish the paint work seemed to suck it in so it don't seem to go far but it sure does shine.
Total Posts: 88
I swear by using the Diamond Brite shampoo and condenser ( the one used in car showrooms ) i have used it on all my caravans and keeps them very clean and also does not attract too much dirt. Once you have used the conserver ( polish ) it makes keeping the caravan very clean. and bird deposits or dead flies etc just wipe off easily. I have also found a black streak remover by Diamond brite which is impresive where you get those annoying lines down your caravan from the rubbers around your windows etc, one wipe over and they are gone, no elbow grease needed.
Total Posts: 56
Started prepping my caravan for going away this weekend. after the heavy rain last week there was a really bad black streak under the front gutter. I first wiped it with my thumb to see how permanent it was, it just came away on my thumb like dust off SWMBO purse. The Auto Glymm Resin polish really worked. I washed the whole van including the roof. I just need to get the Auto Glymm onto the roof. Still getting water beading on the waxed finish.
Total Posts: 27
We have been using the waterless cleaners on our car and Caravan for a few years now and it is Brillient leaves it very clean and the shine you can see your face in it so easy to use especially as where it is in storage there is no water
To beable to clean it with water if we wanted too I highly recommend the
Waterless cleaners every time we also get water beading on the finished
Caravan and when we are away on sites we can easily clean the van
Hi all new to the forum but i also have started using the waterless polish after much scepticism and deliberation, will not use anything else now fantastic on my car and caravan
Total Posts: 18
Hmmmm really must get on with cleaning my caravan roof, maybe best not to park it next to a tree for 3 months
My new baby
Posted: 5 years ago
Just a thought was put onto snow foam to wash my pride and joy (car) works well to rid dirt particles maybe with a try ?
Be careful which snowfoam you use as some of them like Traffic Film Remover can be very harsh and strip any protection you may already have on your van. I always use a non- caustic snow foam , not cheap but then quality costs. If you must use a waterless system (see my other posts) then please make sure there is no grit on your van, recently saw the results of someone using a waterless system after we had the Sahara sand dumped on us a few months back, not nice
My new baby
Will have to see what mine has in its makeup to see if it's ok to use ?
My new baby
September MMM magazine autoglym super resin Polish gets best buy with five star rating (just for info)
Total Posts: 3
I work in car sales and sell a product called Gardx for interior and exterior of cars I have had all my cars done and think it's the best protector on the market, anyway to the point I had our old caravan Gardx'd and our new Caravan has just been done, We have a Bailey and i checked that they were happy with Gardx on their vans and it's on their approved list, the best part about Gardx is it makes the washing of the van so much easier and keeps the van nice and shiny.. the interior protection saves the seats getting stains when spills happen.https://www.gardx.co.uk
Page 1 of 2