Maintenance

interior lights

Total Posts: 122
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
Hi campers Just got back from The Wolds of Yorkshire, during are visit one of the 12 volt reading lights blew 10 watt 35 mm dia Dichroic reflector do you know I could not purchase one anywhere, my box of spares For the van had 20 watts for awning lights, but no 10,s The kitchen and bathroom lights are similar but have those 10 watt G4 halogen pushins fitted in a similar reflector with a removable glass front I tried two van dealers in passing but no joy on 35mm size Does anbody else have these type of Dichroic reflectors. We also had a lot of visitors during saturday night got up sunday morning and there must have been at least 30 mole hills on the site. i have now got a fixation on mole hills every grass verge along the roads are covered in mole hills their taking over Are we suddenly going to vanish down a big hole when the land in between collapses
Total Posts: 39
Have you tried a DIY store? A lot of household lamps are 12 volt via a transformer
Hi sonic I have now obtained the 35mm dia, 10 watt dichroic sealed reflector lamps, I obtained them from a local electrical wholesaler for £2 each same price as 50mm gu10 240v 50 watt used in most suspended ceiling lights I have one to fit and two spares. In my experience once one goes you usually get two or more go. if like the household type. this is the first caravan internal electric light I have blow ,sevaral external ones over the years even those gasmantels quite regular back in the days when we had steam radio The last van I had with gas mantels I think was in the late 50,s early 60,s A van with center raised roof with windows rubber foot pump for water under sink, tip up wash basin in wash cubicle with one of those thetford portable toilets or elasan bucket toilets. WE had it all the height of luxary Ps I forgot the portable gas fire that ran off those camping Gaz cyliders how dangerous we lived then
PS the last post should read The last van I had with gas mantels I think was a late 50,s early 60,s model which I purchased in 1967 which I replaced in 68 with a new ABI rally man
Total Posts: 88
AH gas mantles that brings back memories ,many years ago in the 70's i think ,before i had a caravan ,we had a large six berth frame tent .the evening lighting was done by a large paraffin powered pump up tilley lantern ,one night it decided to burst into flames ,luckily the tent door zip was undone so i promptly grabbed it ran outside and lobbed it as far away as i could throw ,never touched one of that type since .:-0(
Total Posts: 88
Just imagine the issues this would cause on sites now adays if you turn on a gas mantle or a parafin lattern, Health & safety would have a field day. I have a habit of reading the small print for most places i visit as you never know what little things they will pull you up on. Haven actually put that lights fueled by gas/parafin etc that are not permanent fixtures are not allowed especially in awnings
Total Posts: 72
We have just updated our light with LED ones as all our internal light run off 12v... They are a little expensive to start with but are suppose to last a lot longer, they are also brighter. Check out eBay I'm sure you will find some.
Total Posts: 51
If you look on ebay you can get led replacement bulbs very cheap. I got 6 from hong kong and cost less than £10. Can be a little dimmer but we camp with on hook up some times .
Total Posts: 228
Hi I have found those dichroic bulbs in the pound shop, 3 for £1 believe me, so I stock up on them, not for the caravan though as we do not have that type of lamp, just for the house.
Forgot to mention if 1 bulb goes it increases the voltage slightly on the remaining bulbs on the transformer and it shortens their life, so the best thing to do is switch them off till you get a replacement but normally the replacement is brighter than the others and makes them look a bit funny.
Be careful of the rating of cheap bulbs they are usually 50 watts for indoor use, which could easily melt plastic fittings. Caravan ones are usually much lower .
would be surprised if the ones in the vans are the same type as in a house as they run from the 12 volt system and not a separate mains transformer.
It's the voltage they run off not the amps, to the bulbs 12v is 12v, I do not know watt (pun) caravan dichroics wattages are, we have none in our van, we have the 50 watt ones at home and yes they do get hot.
I would suspect that if the caravans use 50 watt ones in wall fittings and they were too close to the ceiling panel could leave marks that would be impossible to remove.
Total Posts: 28
Ohms law ..............Watts = Volts x Amps, or it used to in 1955
I would be very surprised if any van had a 50w bulb. The most I would expect to see would be 10w.