Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

Maintenance

Tyre Pressures

Total Posts: 7
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
Hi everybody,
One year down and a complete set of car tyres later!!!!
I have religiously up'd my TP's to reflect the all people on board the car, when I hook up and take to the road. What is the train of thought on this please. I have only been towing for the one year and if I have to renew car tyres annually I won't be towing for very much longer. Using Octavia 2.0 currently pulling Coachman 520/4 (year 2000).
Any advice welcome
Total Posts: 122
Hi Imtheman how many miles have you done on last set of tyres both solo and towing. If you have done 25,000 you are doing well as to days tyres are only designed to do 25000/27000miles, the amount of silcon per tyre has been increased over the years giving better road holding in all conditions as opposed to the purer rubber tyre which gave better milage, My 55 Octavia 1.9 tdi acheived on a set of Vredsteins (Dutch) 76,000 rear, 59,000 front Front wheel drive. My 58 2.0L TDI Scout perm 4x4 drive acheived 31,000 on a set Dunlops. All mixed driving. The Yeti 1.6 Tdi Green Line I have not had long enough (3Months) to say The 55 1.9 Tdi Octavia now local taxi is still running on Veds as driver says he averages 30/32,000 on a set bought local £200 car has so far done 194,000 miles and still does 35 mpg around town. I tow a Geist 485 1497 Mtplm Which is running on Nexen 185 R 14C 8PR renewed last year £100 fitted free in my front drive.Could not get Maxi- Milers of that size anywhere.
Hi sandgrounder
Have had vehicle for 18 months these were on car when purchased. Current vehicle mileage is 28.2k (07plate). Personal mileage since owning is approx 11k, from your info it could be these are the original fit so I don't feel so hard done bye now. Any advice on Tp's for towing do I up the pressure or leave it as for normal road use as only me and the "queen" travel in it.
Total Posts: 122
Hi Imtheman When towing your van I suggest you increase tyre pressure to max as recommended in the inside of your fuel flap for Type of tyre fitted on car Dont forget though there is only you and the boss in the car you have the nose weight of the van and any load you have put in the boot on the car as well Allways keep your van tyres at the correct presure as directed by Coachman, Tows better and van tyres will last 4/5 years. when parked up keep van tyres covered from ulter violet light but not plastic bin liner. canvas or piece thin ply. this is to protect tyre walls from drying out and cracking. Have you ever seen a caravan tyre blow out on the motorway due to wall failure still 5mm of tread on tyre. thats one of the bug bears of caravan tyres, people only look at the tread. If your tyres are slightly under inflated its like increasing the weight of the van and your mpg goes down as well as your tyre wear increasing My Scout had a tyre pressure of 2.1 br normal but fully laden 2.3 br for towing van with 75k nose weight , van tyres 4.5 br load index 102 carrying cap @ 100 Km/h 895 Kg This is recommended by Geist
Many thanks for your input. It seems I am on the right trail by inflating as per fuel lid in your reply. Wiil need to monitor when I retread in a few weeks time.
Total Posts: 88
Hi Imtheman , A tip is was given many years ago is to put the tyre pressures upto your cars recommended level for total payload escpecially when towing, make sure your caravan tyes are at the correct temperature as per the book. Remember to do this when cold. Also make sure that the nose weight on the caravan is no greater than your towball max allowance ( mine is 75kg ) If your nose weight is too muxh it will put extra strain on the rear chassis of your car and also wear your rear tyres down alot qucker. I found an interesting gismo last year. A pressure cap that you put on your tyre valve which is preset to the right pressure. This will help you when travelling to make sure you have the right pressures in your tyres . I think they cost a couple of quid off ebay for a set of two. I bought a pair for my caravan and a pair for the rear tyres of my Vauxhall Vectra
Total Posts: 11
Posted: 18 days ago
If you are using the van with suggested tyre pressure then I don't think there should be an issue with them. You can use a proper pressure gauge to check the pressure of your tyre on different occasions. In this regard, you can also activate the tyre pressure warning system and you will get other details about this system in the owner’s manual of your vehicle.

On the other hand, the quality of tyres also matter. I noticed many of tyre resellers are offering poor quality tyres with the stamp of big brands. To avoid this kind of spams, it is better to go with a reliable seller and don't thinking that trustworthy tyre resellers don't offer a quality product. Yes, I usually buy cheap but good quality tyres from here https://alltyres365.co.uk/ and I didn't find any problem with tyres. In the same token, I would suggest you stop spinning tyres excessively when you stuck into ice, sand and mud.