Maintenance

HELP !!!

Total Posts: 4
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
My son has to stay with us for a while but the only room is the caravan. we have had the heating on low for quite a while but he went in tonight the pipes are frozen, Any help ASAP would be appreciated.

Sharon
Total Posts: 190
As it is only heat required I would suggest you drain down the water tank. Frozen pipes can split and cost a lot to replace. Once drained down leave all taps open. Do not block air vents up. Turn hearing up and if possible thaw out the frozen pipe ASAP.
Total Posts: 228
You do not say if the pipes are fresh water pipes ie leading to taps etc or heating pipes as in alde central heating, allthough the heating system is normally filled with antifreeze mixture,if it is the fresh water pipes then as they are plastic they might not have split, water expands as it freezes, to make sure open the drain and warm the caravan up with the heating system the water will then drain out as it defrosts. You must also check the boiler has'nt been damaged then you can close the drain refill with water and check for leaksHope everything works out fine and you have no leaks, you must remember to drain down before winter and also as there can be water left in the pipes even after draining down I gently pressurise the system with a compressor to about 4lbs per sq in and reopen the drain you will be surprised as to how much water comes out and I keep doing that till no more water comes out, also remember to open all the taps and the shower head (both taps)