Maintenance

Rear panel repair.

Total Posts: 56
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
When we got our area an there was a small area above the rear light that had collision damage. It had been repaired with resin body filler, which has fallen out. As this panel seems to be made of moulded plastic will it take a fibreglass repair? Any tips for repairing this. I may have to make the panel a different colour as the 1990 beige may be difficult to match
Total Posts: 270
Hi snowy, if the crack isn't too big try looking on fleabay for some stuff called "plast aid" acylic/plastic repair, it comes in 2 parts (granules & liquid in same pack) which you mix together and apply, I've used it before on plastic repairs, it ain't cheap but I personally found it worked really well.
Ozzy
Total Posts: 270
Sorry, forgot to mention, you can also add acrylic paint like you use for craftwork or modelling to it to make it what ever colour you want, in your case you can add beige to get a similar colour to your van, just one word of advice, like fibreglass, when it starts to cure it goes quite quickly though it does go like a toothpaste consistency first so gives you a bit of lea way. I actually used it on a crack in my hot tub with a bit of paint mixed in to get the right colour and it is waterproof too when set.
Hope this helps..
Ozzy
Total Posts: 39
If you look on eBay for some stuff called Milliput, it is a two part epoxy putty that you mix together, it can be used to fill the repair then smoothed out with water. It comes in white too so matches most caravans well.
Total Posts: 56
Thanks, will check these out. I was thinking of fibre glass to get some strength from behind. If it has flexed and dropped the last lot of filler I was worried about it happening again. I know I am getting rid of the van but I would not want to pass on a problem.