Maintenance

Kitchen Worktop

Total Posts: 56
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
IT's only an Old ABI 1990 vintage, but it's my old caravan, and I am loving it. it's our first so we are learning by experience. WE now know to watch for cans of beans falling from the overhead lockers when arriving on site and opening the locker for the first time.
So now we have a corner of a baked bean can size hole in the worktop. MY first thought was to just fill the hole with a bit of resin wood filler, but it would stand out like a sore thumb, so fit a new piece of Formica over the top of the old, could bring the caravan into the 21st century with a modern worktop look, but has anyone tried to get a piece of Formica / Laminate 1.5m x .5m and wher can I get it. Guy on fleabay sells 10x4ft sheets...
Total Posts: 39
I had a few marks in my old caravan. I repaired them with filler and covered with fablon. A previous owner had "repaired" it by sticking a kitchen tile over the hole.
Total Posts: 270
Evening Snowy, just had a quick look on e:bay for you, there's lots of different ones on there even some nice marble effect ones to give the van a facelift. Use the search 'formica sheets' may be worth a looksy..
Ozzy
Total Posts: 39
A tip I was given for fixing Formica is after the adhesive dries, before placing the Formica onto the work top put some lengths of dowel between them. These can e removed as you smooth the Formica onto the work top to avoid bits getting stuck out of place.
Total Posts: 56
Thanks Ozzy, I saw them I was trying to avoid buying such a big sheet. But it looks like I will have to bite the bullet.
Total Posts: 270
Verified
My pleasure,, if you compare it to going to a dealer to replace the worktop this will be a lot cheaper and will look far superior to wood filler and a felt tip pen...LOL...
Ozzy