Maintenance

winter drain down

Total Posts: 2
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
Hi just bought abi arizona 8 berth any tips on doing the winter drain down
is ther a particular antifreeze people tend to use and does it corode the seals if you put it in your cistern etc
Total Posts: 11
Posted: 5 years ago
Hi Davey, In respect to your winter drain down, We at Caravan-Assist recommend to all our customers that you drain down by the following methods.

If your hot water system is TRUMA, Then open the YELLOW valve located near to your water heater. (this will drain the heater), Open all the taps fully including the shower head (Mixer taps should be in the CENTRAL position) This will introduce air into the top of the syatem and aid draining the water from the pipework. (any residue water left in the system WILL freeze, BUT as all the taps are open then the frozen water will expand sideways without any obstructions.)

CARVER based systems..Outside at the bottom of the water heater flange, you will find a large bung Bottom left hand side (screwdriver slot)..REMOVE that bung and place in the sink, TOP right hand side of the carver flange you may see a valve with a screwdriver slot. TWIST that slot 90 degress Open all
the taps as in the previous section. Your system should drain down effortlessy.

Toilet drain down...Inside the Cassette locker, You will see on the left hand side a clear plastic pipe, Dislodge this pipe from the top, REMOVE the bung (if fitted) and lower this pipe downwards, This will remove water from the flush system. Ensure the cassette is empty and flushed throu, OPEN the toilet valve and leave open.This will clear any residue smells from the cassette.

One other point of interest.........DEHUMIDIFIERS.erm waste of time and money.
Your caravan is designed to allow free passage of air....Dehumidifiers remove the moisture from the air in the van, Air gets replaced, and you remove the moisture from that air, and so on and so on. At the ed of the day all your doing is removing the mouisture from the atmosphere......and that means the polar ice caps thaw out....Polar bears die.....LOL.

I hope that was of some help to you.

Graham
Total Posts: 1
We have a new static ABI caravan with a dishwasher does anyone know if we should drain down this and how?!!!!
Total Posts: 18
Note re Thetford Toilet Drain Down: non of the recommended actions will drain down te flushing pump. You need to remove the short length of pipework connected to the pump to drain it down. Thetford will supply a modification -To receive a drain tube complete with fixing instructions free of charge, please e mail C250draintube@thetford.eu and include your contact details, the serial number (or code) of your toilet (which is located on the bottom of your holding tank) and the chassis number, make & model of your vehicle.
Total Posts: 56
As above, I thought I had drained down my hot water system, then went out last night to double check due to the forecast -4 temperatures and removed the bung completely. I was stunned at how much water came out
Total Posts: 2
With my dishwasher I turn off the mains water put it on a short rinse cycle for a few seconds then add some extra salt to the drain section and have never had any problems as the salt helps prevent freezeing
Total Posts: 88
I always drain down my caravan over the winter period whilst not in use following one winter when i didnt and ended up with a burst pipe. I always forget though when i reconnect to close all the caps and get water every where. I also use a cleaner for the first use just to make sure all the pipes are clear od any dirt or build up. You can get good quality crystal cleaners from most caravan stores
Total Posts: 127
We had 2 extra drain off taps same as the truma yellow heater fitted in our Swift Charisma 550 Freestyle in the wardrobe as our van as a end washroom and when drain down we get nearly another 1 ltr of water out of the pipes. Plus we also have 2 drain off pipes on the toilet one for the top water tank and the is to drain off the pump which we got from Thetford.