Maintenance

changing to digital aerial

Total Posts: 5
Verified
Posted: 6 years ago
Hello I hope some one can help me, I have just bought my first caravan a Magnum 556, it has an status 315 analog aerial. I need to change this aerial as I don't have a signal, are there any digital aerials I can put in the same place without cutting any holes in the caravan, any help would be great thanks
Please correct the mistakes below:
I found the best thing to do would be go to a local dealership and ask them. proberly your best bet! Kind regards Jimmy 'the king of the dribble' Dingle
Total Posts: 270
Hi Taff, welcome to the club, good advice from the dribbler, dealers will have the latest digital aerials from Status that 'should' fit on the same bracket then just upgrade the amplifier, alternatively you may consider getting rigged up with a cheap satellite system on a tripod which from experience works as well if not better in some areas with a TV bad signal..
Ozz..
Verified
I don't think there is such a thing as a digital aerial. It is just the digital tuner in the TV that differs.

We have a Status 530 with amplifier, and we seem to get a good picture, even on sites where they say the TV reception is poor. If you are changing a Status for another Status, hopefully it will still fit through the same hole in the roof ?
Hi..There is NO differance for annalog or Digi on household aerials..I have tried caravan aerial in the past and found them utter rubbish,,,and i use an ordinary household aerial and heve for many years,,a matter of a few quid against 370 pluss...just fasten a patch over old hole in rrof or leave old aerial there,,and put pole brackets onto side of van....
sorry that shd be £70 plus...lol
Total Posts: 3
Verified
Make sure your amp is switched on first, schoolboy error I made a while back. There is no such thing as a digital aerial. Have a look at this site some good info: http://www.aerialsandtv.com/touringaerials.html
Hi, I used to be a tv engineer, and agree with keithbri, there is no such thing as a digital ariel, an ariel is an ariel, except for status which are utter rubbish, the best and cheapest way is to get a small household ariel, and attach it with clamps on caravan when pitched and if you have an external ariel point, plug into that, the consumer has been ripped off since the digital changeover, as they have been urged to buy a digital ariel or they won't get a picture, trust me there is no such thing.
I've got the status 315 on the roof of my caravan and never had any problems picking up digital signals. I do use a satellite dish and receiver mostly though.
Hi .(Im city and guilds 214)TV and radio servicing,---There is no such thing as a digital aerial but-in som e spots it is very difficult to receive a signal for one of the following reasons. 1 Your equipment is faulty so test each piece by substitution,better to do sitting by a good signal area ie on top of a transmitter.DONT think that freesat is problem free since they suffer from a similar amount of trip ups for the caravanner.-me included.good luck
Total Posts: 56
Hi I am not an old hand at this, We bought a pretty good squarial from Maplins which worked fine at home with a good signal, however ina valley in |Cornwall not so good (no signal) so another trip to Maplins to get their suitcase Sattelite kit, worked fine once I worked out which direction to point it. I checked local Sat dishes on the houses with a compass. Did not need the signal meter Maplin sold me because the reciever has one built in
try a satellite dish, as long as you know southeast is, you will get a signal
it only takes 5 mins to set up
Total Posts: 57
If you decide on the Status, then the new one, which can be nturned, is much better than the old one but be aware that it is available with 2 masts, standard and extended, for a bit extra I'd go for the extended one.
Total Posts: 18
I have used a Status 530 for over 7years - perfect for digital reception so long as you point it in the right direction and there is a suitable signal strength. There will always be situations where the signal strength is poor or the surroundings and trees make reception difficult.
Can I say a big thankyou for all the advise, did go to my local dealer said I need to upgrade my status to a 550 at a cost of £ 220.00 plus vat fitted, I think an outside one from maplin or some where like that will be best, thanks taffy
Total Posts: 2
Suggest you use a tripod for your aerial ( satellite or household type) as you can then move it about and often manage to avoid an obstruction. I use a maplin speaker stand with a maxview satellite dish and have found being able to move its position and height ( to avoid hedges) is very useful.
Total Posts: 6
Hi wehave a status arial fitted with the van,and get a brilliant reception on most sites,although we went to havens site at caister-on-sea,and could not get a thing,but thankfully i have an outdoor aerial which i fit to the jockey wheel,ang get a good picture with that after tuning it in.
Hello just an update bought an aerial from comet and have fiited it to my jockey wheel, only cost £45.00 we have a cracking picture, and last week we had strong wind and very heavy rain still had a good picture. Once again thankyou for your help
Posted: 5 years ago
If you in worcs next year I will meet and sort you out with all aspects.Alcotwalkmills city and guilds 214----cost zero
Total Posts: 155
There are digital ariels available that clamp to a pole that can be feapest option.ixed to your jockey wheel.
This can be the ch
Total Posts: 155
This can be the cheapest option is what I wanted to put above.
Total Posts: 39
We get a better reception with our Status 315 in the caravan in the drive than we get from the roof aerial in the house. There's no such thing as a digital aerial, its all a marketing gimmick to sell more aerials. Check all the connections on your Status aerial and ensure the amplifier is turned on.
Total Posts: 122
I use a high gain household aerial clamped to three old awing button lock poles which are clamped to my "A" frame with bracket and bottom of pole sits in screw in ground clamp from Llidl £6.99. the aerial cable is plugged into a free view so called digiatal box then in to 8 year old 19 inch tv via short aerial lead. when arriving on site my other half has her beloved tele with in 10 mins. Just turn aerial same way as other residents and clamp up press auto tune and away you go. aerial unclamps into 3 pieces 3 x1 metre poles two wing nuts screw out ground clamp in front locker on leaving site sorted.
Total Posts: 39
I have no problems getting a signal with my 315. I would check all the connections are fitted correctly and that the coax plugs are not short circuited internally by a previous owner "fixing" it who didn't know what they were doing. This had been the case with mine but ten minutes of undoing previous fixes got mine working again.

If your 315 still doesn't work, you can get a new one from eBay or Amazon for about £100 which obviously will fit over the existing hole.
Have you though of a cheep Sat Dish I can find a signal pretty Quickly
I got mine at Maplin`s for about £60 with the recever
Total Posts: 122
I was visiting van in winter storage last week and next to mine was a motorhome the status aerial had been removed but tuning pole was still fitted Through roof ontop of pole a 10/12 inch sat dish was fitted at approx 20deg angle off vertical.I could not get close enough to see everything in detail as I could only stand in van doorway to look. It was obivous owner could turn aerial 360 deg from in side motor home. but could not make out wether he could tip dish from inside. I am told 1/8 inch out on aerial is = to 500 miles in space perhaps he tipped van to alter angle ???
There seems to be no perfect answer to guaranteeing TV reception in a touring unit.
Over the years we have found that for terrestrial transmissions a good quality free-standing Directional Aerial is superior to the familiar roof-fitted offerings, whether unidirectional or multi-directional. Too many junctions and connections in cabling degrade the quality of signal. Sometimes terrestrial signals are just not available for whatever reason.
So we also carry satellite equipment, which is surprisingly easy to set up BUT you must have line-of-sight to receive the satellite signal. - any trees near by and there is no signal! The iPhone has a very useful App just for testing line of sight!

And if neither sat nor aerial work, there I suppose there is always the Internet if you carry your laptop or iPad and if there is WiFi on site..