Maintenance

jockey wheel

Total Posts: 110
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
i am thinking of changing my jockey wheel for a pneumatic one !
has anyone done this and what were the results ?
Total Posts: 270
Hi Teecee. In a nutshell my friend, don't bother, if you want to change your jockey wheel, change it for a wide plastic type preferably with a rubber tyre on it. Although a pneumatic tyre is a godsend compared to the solid narrow rubber wheels found on some vans, if you get a puncture in it they're an absolute arse to move your van on grass and not that easy on hard surfaces too with a flat tyre, imagine trying to push your car with a flat tyre, the weight of a van isn't that much different in some cases..
Ozzy
Total Posts: 88
bought one and very happy with it ,although i did swap the wheel for one of our hand trolley as the trolley wheels have ball bearing.also gives me a spare .just ensure you keep the pressure up to around 30psi ,under that is when they pop .
thanks for that i am still not sure what to do it has only become a problem since we had a mover fitted and the present wife keeps nagging sorry i mean say that it is not very good !!!!!
the present wife !!!! that sounds simple then ,take her back and get a refund and use whatever jockey wheel you want LOL
i dont think they would take her back now as i did not get a reciept !!
Total Posts: 57
Hi all, I once went to my local dealer in Cardiff to buy a pneumatic tyre for my jockey wheel. The dealer, who had them in stock, told me to save my money. He said that he didn't like them because there were instances of them bursting on the odd occasion when they might ground by accident. I haven't heard of this from any other source but I though I'd pass it on.
Meant to say in my reply peoples that I was speaking from experience, just very glad that I have a motor mover on the van or I would probably have done my back in trying to move the van with the punctured jockey wheel.
Ozz..
Itlooks like i am going to be buying one now because like a muppet i saw a wheel in the caravan shop for £5:00 and thought whoopee but soon found out that it does not fit and you have to change the whole thing !!!
but at least i now have a spare wheel !!!!!
Slege hammer, blow lamp, block of wood & mole grips, re-shape the bracket to fit, just remember to take the old wheel out first...LOL...
yeah good idea i have got nothing to lose if it goes pear shape i can get a new one anyway ( must see if she still has the tools in her handbag !!!! )
Total Posts: 6
Hi, was advised by the motor mover fitter to get a pneumatic jockey wheel but it burst the 2nd time i used it. Now got a heavy duty jockey wheel off ebay. Touch wood, so far so good
Total Posts: 56
I replaced the jockey wheel, like for like, the old pneumatic one had cracks in the walls of the tyre when I bought the van. measured the width of the old one first (48mm) then bought a new through fleabay one to match. The new one has bearings fitted, and I can remove the wheel and tyre to replace if needed.
Total Posts: 11
my handle has broke off the jockey wheel it was like this when i got it. i need to replace it do you know if i can get just a hangle of if i need to replace with a whole new jockey wheel?
Evening Kim.
Don't know if you have a trailer sales or a local caravan dealership close to you, if you do, it may be worth a visit taking your broken jockey wheel post with you and ask the workshop staff if they have anything lurking in a dark corner somewhere that may help you out.
Ozzy
Total Posts: 6
Hi Teecee,to tell the truth i would never use one as they do tend to pop.Ihad a problem with my original so i fitted a wide one,as we have a motor mover,and the storage yard has shingle down,it works well.
Total Posts: 11
hi ozzy
i do have a caravan plce near me i shall try that then thanks.
we are getting bored of sore hands trying to winde it like that especially with such cold weather at mo
Posted: 5 years ago
Evening Kim. Glad to help out with little snippets of ideas where I can.. Good Luck..
Ozz
Total Posts: 14
Hi all I've had two pneumatic tyres and managed to burst both of them going up and down a small kerb edge to get the van on and off the storage area.
Swoped for a wide plastic one and not had any issues since.
Cheers and good luck if you have a pneumatic one.
John
Total Posts: 39
I changed to a pneumatic jockey wheel a while ago and have recently changed back as I was sick of finding it flat everytime I went to hitch up.
Sometimes it almost feels like I know what I'm talking about,,,, I'm so glad to be me..LOL...
PS, I'm not on commission either just one of the 80% of the wroking population to be unfortunate enough to suffer with back problems..
Ozzy
Total Posts: 2
A Good way to deter thieves to make the jockey wheel axle easily removable and remove the wheel when on site or in storage. Just try moving a caravan without a jockey whee.l Although not theft proof it is a added deterant to a opportunist thief
Redted
f
Total Posts: 2
It's not a cheap option but I bought an Alko premium jockey wheel in their sale for about £70. It has a 3" (80mm) wide solid tyre and incorporates a noseweight gauge as well - really handy with a twin axle van. I have yet to actually use it but it is recommended by Alko for caravans with motor movers, particularly for manoeuvring on gravel.
Total Posts: 19
I bought two used wheels off of an invalidity scooter from a market stall cost me about £15 for the two he would not sell me just one sold one two a friend. These are designed to carry much more weight than caravan nose weight the centre hole through the wheels was same diameter as caravan wheel and all I had to do was to make spacers to fit the wheel to the yoke.Moptor mover works much better now even on gravel. RSpence
On my Bailey Ranger i changed the okey wheel for a pneumatic tyre and then regreted it . altrhough it was easier to manuvoure it became a problem when used on gravelled areas where i kept getting puncturs from the sharpe stones. I eventually changed back to a solid typre but got the larger wheel with chunkier tread and this was great.
Total Posts: 19
I've been using my jockey wheel with pneumatic tyre all last season not had any problems yet though I do carry the plastic wheel in the locker box just in case only takes two minutes to refit it well worth it for the ease of use on gravel or soft grass.RSpence
Total Posts: 1
TeeCee, one of the best things i`ve bought since caravaning, still take spare plastic wheel as back up, but have`nt needed to use it yet, next best buy was shockers for the van, stops all the side roll
Total Posts: 15
Hi All, just picked up on this thread We have a Hymer Nova which is realatively heavy dificult to manover on hard standings so th old wheel gained a flat spot so changed to a pneumatic hey presto not a problem since just watch the pressure as they do tend to loose it otherwise go for it
Bob s
Total Posts: 3
Hi, I would not use a pneumatic tyre with a motor mover as I have found that when turning sharply the tyre can come off. Also if punctured very difficult to change. I have found that the wide solid plastic wheels are best in soft grass. Hope this helps.
Total Posts: 1
Don't bother have you ever tried pushing a wheelbarrow with a flat tyre well pushing a caravan with one is ten times worse
I find that putting a short piece of .75 inch ply under the jockey stops it sinking whilst parked up and then run it onto a thin piece of flexible pvc to hook up works well . Why not try one of the new ball jockey wheel they are supposed to be the Bees knees
Ted
Page 1 of 2