See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

Maintenance

Cracks in the front panel

Total Posts: 7
Verified
Posted: 6 years ago
We have a Lunar Lexon and there is some crazing in the front panel near to the handle, we believe it was knocked when in for service once but could never prove it, any suggestions how to cure it, or just make it look better
Please correct the mistakes below:
You could try The Caravan Medic, if you type that in on google the search comes up with their website.
Best of luck
Total Posts: 88
i have got a spider web fracture on the gel coat of mine ,i am going to try some of the car scratch remover stuff later ,will let you know if it works
well wnt out this afternoon and had a go at it with JML mantis scratch remover ,all i can say is don't buy any its a total waste of time on either the car or caravan ,you would be better off using toothpaste :-0(
Total Posts: 17
I had hairline cracks round the handle on the front of my lunar Gemini and used a marine product to stop cracks, it dries and fills the crack to. Blue and white bottle but can't remember the name,,sorry
Total Posts: 270
Evening All.
Go to the famous auction site ending in 'bay' and type in 'gelcoat repair' or gelcoat repair kit there's a couple of different products that you can try to repair the cracks in the panels.
Hope this helps.. Ozzy..
Total Posts: 1
Can i ask any of you above, are all tourer cvans panels, especially the front and rear Gel ones? I've never heard the term before but maybe it's only on cvans of a certain age? Any info would be much appreciated.
I used a gelcoat repair compound on some craving around the handles on the front of my Lunar Zenith. It worked well initially but after several months of pulling on the handles to manuover the Caravan i found that they started to come back ( but not as bad as they were ). There was never any damp issues around the area i think its just one of the things that happens as the front panels age and get attack from the weather and movement
Total Posts: 122
Hi folks the cracking around the pull handles is due to the body work flexing while you pull and needs reinforcing, before repairing the gelcoat unfortunely there is no quick fix. remove handles usually bolts from inside front locker screwed into handle. buy glass fibre repair kit which comes with glass fibre matting and a clear aphoxy adhseve + syrup coloured hardener.Prices vary about £20.for medium size. Cut the matting to shape required and over lap about 2 inches all round. As most handles fit in a recess the inside the locker is going to be convexed hence shaping the matting to lay flat all over the shape. practise with some thin card or stiff paper. when happy use paper as template. stick matting in place using masking tape as near to edge as possible. mix resins and stir fast, usually hardener goes into half filled tin of resin might get hot apply with disposable brush fast as possible, remember you have two sides to do resin must soak completely through matting to original glassfibre or paint original fibre with resin stick matting to coated surface then paint over matting to bond through. the older the resins the more time you have to work about 20 minutes at most. Fresh resins about 10 mins leave to harden completely about 4hrs, bolt holes can be redrilled from out side using same size drill . A gelcoat repair kit can be purchased from Eastcoast fibre glass via Amazon for £25 including postage follow instructions to the T. wear goggles, gloves and mask @ all times. its not a fast job but very satisfying when completed,a full days work and if done properly will cure your problem good luck. I almost forgot replace handles after finished gelcoat. Many moons ago when I was a seagoing engineer we used a brand called Thistle bond even repaired leaking steam pipes with it. when hardened could be drilled, tapped, filed into shapes. when completely set it had dryed to a glass clear coating.