Maintenance

Different problem with Thetford flush

Total Posts: 57
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
Hi, I have a different problem with the flush in our van. It works intermittently, originally the pump was not working so I changed the 3 amp fuse and all was well, even though the old fuse had not blown. I assumed corrosion on the blade was the problem. Now I find that the pump still fails to operate at times, but at other times it comes on without the switch being pressed. One night I was woken (I'm a light sleeper) by the sound of a pump running, it was the flush and the toilet bowl was full of pink fluid, luckily there flush tank was not full! Now the pump will run continuously unless the fuse is removed. The van is going in for service in a couple of months so I will let you know what is found, unless any of you have an idea.
Have you tries and checked that the circuit board under the fluch button area is correctly seated in its lugs. This is a known problem that the board can become detached, which will result in some of the conditions that you have reported.
Thanks for that suggestion, I will try that later today, will be away from the computer for a few days then so I will let you know how it goes.
Hi, have been down to the van and the flush worked perfectly throughout so I refrained from doing anything with the control panel. I rang Thetford and a chap in their technical dept was really helpful. He said that there was a problem with the control board which was calling for power to the flush as Alan suggested and that it would be replaced under warranty even though it might be working properly when the van goes in for service. Hope this helps.
Hi,
Just an update for you; the van has been serviced and having been advised by Thetford that the PCB (control panel) would be replaced, I was surprised when the dealer told me that they had been advised to re-bed the PCB with silicone sealant. Having said that, when I collected the van the PCB had indeed been replaced. A neighbour on our site has told me that he has 4 of these panels fitted in his now 18 month old caravan!
I remember well our old Thetford with the mechanical plunger that worked faultlessly year after year. I suppose it's called progress when a perfectly adequate and reliable system is replaced by one that has 2 circuit boards and at least one fuse in an environment that is likely exacerbate the chance of failure.
Hope this helps