See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

Maintenance

pimping your van

Total Posts: 88
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 7 years ago
has anyone else on here been in the situation where they have had to or wanted to pimp up there caravan .
we recently bought a eldiss whirlwind vogue that although it ticked all the boxes had been simply used by a friend of mine as a spare bedroom .and he had never used it since buying it although he started with the right intentions by fitting a new alko 3004 and locks .
when we went to view it ,both tyres were flat to the ground ,the main light didn't work ,and it had been under a tree for two years plus .apart from that everything worked fine .
after purchase which btw was a minor sum (the freebies alone are worth more than the van ) we spent a fair bit of time cleaning it ,and then once new tyres were fitted (found they had tyron bands in the process) towed it home and went through it with a fine tooth comb .
there was minor damage to the rear of the door ,which i repaired myself due to excessive repair quotes ,and i removed the status ariel ,having never been a lover of them .and plated and sealed the mounting holes .
the interior of the van is immaculate and the only thing i have done is replaced the broken central strip light with a two way circular dome light .

outside the van i fitted a new ariel lead box and wired it up ,and the awning light which was one of the old plastic box types has been replaced with a new half moon halogen one .

so what have you done to yours
Total Posts: 39
We're in the process of 'pimping' ours. We have a 1990 Compass Rallye and it is beginning to look tired. It has everything we need so we've decided to try to bring it into the 21st Century.

We're currently making new curtains and I'm off (at the weekend) to buy some wood Laminate effect lino to replace the (now) grubby looking carpet. Also trying to decide what to do with the wallboard as it's wearing in places (due to condensation I think) may decide to repaint... not sure I have the talent to replace the wallboard.

We have added some new lighting, CD player and have modified the rear bunks slighly. Definately work in progress, but it will be how we want it.

Regards ~Steve~
I previously had a little Freedom Jetstream which I gave a complete makeover with new seat covers, new curtains, flyscreens and blinds, door screen, new gas locker, alko stabiliser hitch, new 240v sockets, door handles, mirror and vanity unit. Sadly I was sold on a little while ago due to sky high storage costs- we did have two vans! I wouldn't hesitate to get stuck in and "pimp up" another van in the future. It was hard work at times, but great fun and a great conversation starter on sites.
good luck steve ,why not just replace the carpet with new ,on our old folding camper we got a offcut (luckily from the daughter ) of a good quality black wilton (hessian backed not foam or padding backed) carpet and just cut it carefully to size with a sharp stanley knife ,then glued it down with a carpet spray glue .most carpet shops sell offcuts
I was thinking about just replacing it Blackfox, but then I thought (with our kids liking puddles & mud too much) it may be easier to keep clean plus we can put a carpet runner down the van when we need too.

Regards ~Steve~
Gnome - did you make the seat covers yourself? I would love to get mine reupholstered/recovered but it costs a small fortune I believe and I'ld be interested to know how difficult you found it. We have a friend who's a bit handy with a sewing machine, although that may be a bit much to ask..

Regards ~Steve~
a good quality dark coloured carpet will be easier to keep clean long term than wood or lino flooring ,she will be forever mopping it and you will have to stay off till its dry .
carpet gets muddy ,let it dry and hoover it ,simples !!!!!
Yes I did them myself and it's a fairly straight forward job, that having been said, I confess to knowing my way round a sewing machine pretty well!
if your in the north west/ north wales at all a super place for materials is ABAKHAN MILLS ,the main shop is at greenfield on the coast road to rhyl and easily found by the beached fun ship ,but they have several other outlets dotted around the north west and merseyside area .you would be able to get the covering you need plus any foam and/or wadding from them
Blackfox - I can see where you're coming from and dark carpets are a good idea ... but I'm still prefering to go down the lino route.
Gnome - I may just have to look into getting our seats redone (over winter). Just need to hunt for some nice uphostry fabric.

Regards ~Steve
Pity I was in that Abakan place with the wife tues,I could have looked for you
I found mine on eBay by typing in "upholstery fabric" I got an absolute bargain, 18+ metres for about £20 from a suplier who deals in end of line fabrics. Little things like covering the buttons to match make all the difference and are surprisingly easy to do. I've done 3 caravan refits now, 2 of my own and my brothers and weirdly I rather enjoyed it!
amazing what you can find on e-bay if you look hard enough
amazing what you can find on e-bay if you look hard enough
just done the final pimp tonight and wha t a grrrr job ,when we bought our van we both said the only thing bringing it down was the old rusty jockey wheel ,so bit the bullet tonight and went to go outdoors who have a nice new jockey wheel with pneumatic tyre for £30 ,well they only had one in stock but after picking it up the wife said this has been used the tread was slightly dirty ,asked a assistant who went to see a manager who assured us that it was brand new ,as we wanted it i said i'll buy it but try it out on the car air pump outside ,you guessed it would't blow up .
goes back in they call the store manager who after apologising said they could get another one but it might be a few weeks ,,or he could reduce this one and throw in a puncture kit ,o.k so it now stands me £17 go for it ,got the unit back home and then spent nearly a hour taking out the inner tube reairing the puncture and then struggling to get it all back together .anywat after a lot of grrrrrrrrr and other words its all fitted and working and compliments the alko hitch and all
just done the final pimp tonight and wha t a grrrr job ,when we bought our van we both said the only thing bringing it down was the old rusty jockey wheel ,so bit the bullet tonight and went to go outdoors who have a nice new jockey wheel with pneumatic tyre for £30 ,well they only had one in stock but after picking it up the wife said this has been used the tread was slightly dirty ,asked a assistant who went to see a manager who assured us that it was brand new ,as we wanted it i said i'll buy it but try it out on the car air pump outside ,you guessed it would't blow up .
goes back in they call the store manager who after apologising said they could get another one but it might be a few weeks ,,or he could reduce this one and throw in a puncture kit ,o.k so it now stands me £17 go for it ,got the unit back home and then spent nearly a hour taking out the inner tube reairing the puncture and then struggling to get it all back together .anywat after a lot of grrrrrrrrr and other words its all fitted and working and compliments the alko hitch and all
Total Posts: 270
I think that the cushion flooring is more practical in a van, we have that in ours with 3 runners down the centre that compliment the pattern on the upholstery. Looks the dogs dangly bits and easier to keep clean plus if you get any crud on the runners you can either take em out @ sweep em or just buy new ones..
Ozz