Maintenance

How to re-torque your nuts!!!

Total Posts: 270
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
Got a Bailey Rimini, any one got ideas on the best method of re-torqueing the wheel nuts on a caravan, is it best to slack them off a bit then re-torque or just to torque them forwards?
Ozzy
Total Posts: 23
I would just torque them as if you slackin them it might not bed right and you are ment to re-torque after 20-30 miles incase they have moved slightly to bed in.

I will ask my brother who is a tyre fitter and see if the pros give differant advice.

Jamie
Checking tightness/torque you should de on a regualr basis.

However it is IMHO advisable to occasionally (at least once a year) full remove each wheel bolt to check for corrosion etc. Also bolts can seize on the opposing faces/seats and when on the road you may not have a big enough spanner/drive capability to unfreeze the frozen surfaces.

Remember, the recommended torque values apply to new/good condition facing surfaces. Bad surfaces will result in a torque wrench yeilding not due to tightness but due to friction obstruction.

It can't be stressed enough to check that wheel bolts freely rotate, seat correctly and are free from defects like stripped or crossed threads.
Well, been down to thge storage compound slackened the studs right off then re-torqued them ready for the next trip. Better to be safe than sorry especially with a Bailey..
Total Posts: 18
You should back off each nut one quarter of a turn before retorquing them to the correct torque setting.
Evening Bob. Thanks for that, will give that a bash next season before we set off..
Ozz..
Total Posts: 18
I have a Bailey Unicorn Valencia which has had all the wheel bolts renewed due to some Bailey models losing wheels. I now torque my wheels before every major journey - better safe than sorry, but I do wonder as the possibility of stretching that the bolts will suffer due to constant retorquing
Funny you should say that, I too thought the same, there's only so much give in the bolts & even with a good torque wrench that clicks off at the right setting you inevitably apply a little more torque than maybe you would need. Such a shame that this has happened and that we're having to go through this. Maybe Bailey should provide a free torque wrench to owners of every van made after they became aware of the problem either through the dealers or through the CRIS registration scheme sending them through the post...
Total Posts: 11
Gentlemen...........REtourqing wheel nuts........If it aint broke dont fix it.......Another point of interest.Honestly hands up.How many of you can truthfully say your Tourqe wrench is calibrated and certificated to say its TRUE and honest........these are Tools with springs inside.these springs wear after time...so as your calibration marks my say 80 or 90.the true amount of pressure your applying could be as high as 110 or as low as 60. IF these tools are defective.then you could Stretch your studs.or worse still NOT be tourqing the studs up fully, Lost wheels cuse so much damage NOT only to your caravan.....But also to the Item/Person that just happens to be in the way or that runaway wheel.....Your insurance company will then require you inform them WHO touched the wheel last.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.be very careful.
Evening Caravan Assist. I see where you're coming from but as some van manuals say to torque the nuts before starting a journey and if it wasn't done for instance and you lose a wheel, maybe an unscrupulous insurance company (of which there aren't any I'm sure) or indeed the manufacturer could say that you've possibly have contributed to the failure by not checking them on a regular basis. If you have a torque wrench no matter how good or bad it may be at least it shows that you have tried to comply with the manufacturers instructions.
Ozzy
Total Posts: 11
Point taken Ossy (And Hi) but I think if you read your manual correctly.It will say CHECK not retourqe....But that said.......what do you check it with?.wheel brace? torque wrench?.Personally i would recommend you CHECK with a brace. as i have sid in my previous post..DO you know the correct setting of the torque wrench (unless you have it calibrated anually)

Total Posts: 56
When I got my caravan, someone in the past had put a line of red paint across the end of the bolt onto the nut, this woulod make it easy to see if the nut had come loose. Only problem was when I took the wheels off to put new tyres on, the same nut did not go back onto the same stud so at some point I need to remark the nuts. I believe there are also some nut markers available, similar to those you now see on lorries, perhaps some DIYer could come up with something similar?
Total Posts: 39
HGVs and buses have coloured markers on their wheel nuts that are supposed to be positioned to point to each other making it easy to see if one of the nuts has moved, or a naughty individual thought it was fun to reposition one :-\
Hi Sonic
See where you're coming from on this, as the wheel nut/bolt recesses are generally too deep to have a surface mounted indicator, maybe the manufacturers could come up with a gismo that locks all the nuts into place a bit like a wire 'hub cap' type thingy.. Anyone get a BA in engineering that can take up the challenge?, if yes, I want a cut if you get on Dragons Den...LOL...
Ozzy....