Maintenance

Cleaning your caravan roof and roof seal / mastic

Total Posts: 72
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 4 years ago
Ok I know this is something many may not be bothered about but just wondered is anyone has found a way of cleaning the excess mastic around roof window seal, vent etc... my van is under two years old but the seals are covered in stuff from dirt to bit of trees and leaf's... why so much excess mastic should in the first place but has anyone found a way of cleaning it?
Total Posts: 127
Hi to remove excess mastic on your caravan you can use a cloth with a little bit of turps or white spirit.

Chris
Total Posts: 228
The mastic is there to stop water ingress the excess that ouses out after installation forms a seal yes I know the dirt sticks to it but after a while it loose it's stickyness and does not attract anymore dirt, cleaning it only makes it sticky again, anyway it's on the roof so no one notices it, also be very carefull about using volatile solvents on caravan paintwork it's not the same as car paintwork which can take a bit of abuse ie petrol will not harm original paintwork on cars but it will take caravan paintwork off the aluminium, unless you have a new caravan that is made from GRP or even the newer ABS.
Total Posts: 25
I frequently get asked to remove excess sealant but I always decline as removal may lead to water ingress. Unless they are really bad, they are best left alone. Please do not use any solvent based products near any seams on your van as this could lead to all the seals failing