Maintenance

Battery charger heat

Total Posts: 28
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
Does anyone know how I can reduce the heat created by the battery charger which is situated under the bed on the nearside of the van.
During this hot weather it has made the bed uncomfortably hot.
Apart from turning the mains off and running the fridge on gas I can not see a solution,
Any ideas?
Total Posts: 190
There is a possibility the battery is faulty and the caravan battery charger is overheating when it attempts recharge the battery. Is it a smart charger or a working caravan charger which backs off when the battery is charged?
It is the standard charger fitted to the rear of the electric box on a bailey arizona.
I am not good on electrics but it has always been the same since new.
Total Posts: 7
Any battery charger will generate heat through it's electrical circuits. try turning off the battery isolator and run the fridge on 240v.and open exterior doors to that area to allow the air to circulate through if possible. Also how old is the battery as they do have life span before the power output drops and requires more charging
Thanks I will see if I can find the battery isolator.
Over the years I have had several batteries and also charging units both now area in A1 condition
Total Posts: 228
If you cannot find the isolator look for the fuse for the charger and pull it out, as ianbax said the battery could be at fault, to check it, disconnect one terminal so that it is not providing power to your caravan let it stand for a day or so and check the voltage if it has been on charge and is fully charged it should read 12.7 volts if it reads 12.3 volts it is discharged if it reads anywhere between those voltages it's not holding it's charge, you cannot apply the standard test for testing a car battery which is called a drop test (not literally) to a leisure battery you can damage it, so you might have to consider that it is knackered(pardon the venacular)
Thanks all now got it sorted just knocked the trip off!!
I did say I know nothing about electrics--------
Total Posts: 18
I have the same problem why they fit them under a bed with no air to circulate is madness in a morning the bed is red hot, I know my battery good it's brand new, and I'm good with electrics, what I intend doing it to fit two small computer fans to the fuse box and a couple of vents to the bed.

The charger makes heat, but due to all the padding ie seats /beds it cant get away mine is in a Lunar Quaser 08 model and you can feel the heat radiating though the bed
Total Posts: 8
My Bailey charger gets hot too. I think it is a function of caravan chargers. Remember that a caravan charger is generally a 10A charger not a trickle charger so it is handling a lot more power. After all it has to supply the 12V Electrics and keep the leisure battery charged.
Total Posts: 18
I thought modern caravan chargers where of the smart type where they will give a full boost when needed and then a trickle ( float ) charge when not in use.