See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

Insurance

Your Opinion Counts

Total Posts: 52
Verified
Posted: 6 years ago
What would you like to see offered within an insurance policy?
Total Posts: 110
Please correct the mistakes below:
some kind of european breakdown insurance like the red pennant from the caravan club which if you add the fact that you have to join the club to get cover it is not that good a deal but i must say it is a great service as a friend of mine found out when he crashed his outfit in spain !
Total Posts: 270
A choice as to what cover you'd like to take, OK so there should be euro cover if you need it but lower premiums for UK travel only. Discounts for professional qualifications live HGV licences and a higher tier of discounts as you get with car insurance. Good honest quotes, not gimmicky offers that you still pay for by having the premium quoted higher in the first place. UK customer services and call centres only.
Total Posts: 110
as an LGV driver i would agree but i am told that being a lorry driver is the third on the list for having a heart attack
i dont know where they get that from as we all know most lorry drivers dont have hearts !!
Total Posts: 314
I just took out insurance for the new van & thought it very good (won't put what company & how much as not sure if its allowed on this site??) much cheaper than i expected,
Not really following the topic though??
Ozz
Total Posts: 314
well as long as it pays out if we have an accident while towing, it catchs fire (on site or while towed) or is stolen, what more do you realy need?? just straightforward insurance! who spends 180 to 260 days abroad any way????
Total Posts: 67
As teecee said. Decent European cover from a firm who respond to emergencies properly.
Total Posts: 155
Caravan insurance is a very expensive item when you consider on average how little the average owner uses their van.
We are probably not average we get away as often as possible even if it is only for 2 nights.
I shopped around for insurance and eventually got it for just over 200 five years new for old on the van all accessories covered etc.
I wish it would include full european breakdown cover but this is the real world.
So untill then I will have to use red pennant which is probably the best available.
So dear site guardian peoples, did anything come of this, is the information being used to help build our policies anytime soon as you've gone very quiet. Will there be any changes before I need to renew in April??
Ozzy...
Total Posts: 122
Hi Ozzy I was with NFU for 10 years and got a no claims bonus every year so it only increased between £5/£8 per year, New for Old but the cost shot up by £127 when the van came out of the 6 year warranty/ My 70th birthday ?????
Before This van insured with same company on an early van I had a claim for a tipped van on the M6. Iwas very honest with them on what I had recovered from the damaged van and what I chucked. I made a detailed list of contents saved and scrapped.Van was write off. Iwas contacted by an agent from Mansfield who told me He could get me a brand new van (dealers model ) but the next Model up from my basic van If I was willing to pay £300 on top of the insurance. I got a new van worth £1000 more new than my old van new + £600 for contents lost( Battery Acid made a right mess) Tipped van was 14 months old at time of accident. Agent has to get you new van within 50 milles of your home for insured a mount.I only had to travel 35 miles to Glossop to pick up new van + dealer gave 30% of any extras I bought for buying a new van off them .They knew it was an insurance claim and I was only paying £300 but as far as they were concernd I was paying full amount.