See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

General

Flag Poles

Total Posts: 26
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
Ive just been away for the first time in my caravan and saw a fair number of van with flag poles and flags on is this a common sight? thought it was quite good , are there any regulations on this?also does anyone know where I can get the little lites I saw on the out side of awnings at night very pretty
Total Posts: 67

There are probably a zillion rules regarding flag poles all saying '"No You Can't." That's the beauty of caravanning, a chance to get away all the petty bureaucracy of everyday life.

However, the flag poles you see most are usually telescopic poles originally intended for people who tool literally the expression, Go Fly a Kite.

These are available on e-bay under 'telescopic flag poles' and vary from about £7 upwards.

I fix mine into one of those hitch posts that you can use for a rotary airer or TV mast. But whatever you do, fix it down because a gust of wind will see it take off.

Best not drive with one either.
Total Posts: 127
Hi if you thinking of buy the poles etc I would recommend the company my daughter brought from they delivered to the caravan site the next day
http://www.lifebreeze.co.uk/
Total Posts: 26
thanks looks like ill be spending some cash soon
Total Posts: 228
The telescopic flag poles are in fact fishing poles, they are normally made from fibre glass and be carefull what you mount them on, I used a broom handel and it rained non stop for about 2 days the wood started to swell and I could not get the pole off till it dried out. The lights can be got from the likes of home bargains, we got some of those colour changing bubble lights from maplins but I don't think they sell them anymore
Total Posts: 51
We use sloar fairy lights we got from the local cheap shop. Cost about £7. Also got our flag pole from fishing shop for about the same price.
Total Posts: 51
Makes it much easier to find the van in a festival site. Especially at night with the lights
Total Posts: 72
cant see the point of these myself on a caravan site never lost my van but could see a festival site it may be useful but what happens if you turn up and loads of other have the same flyie thing....
Total Posts: 228
Get one of those monkeys that fly a kite, very easy to find your van and gets a few amusing looks from other caravaners
Total Posts: 102
Why do people feel it is necessary to have flags?? I can see the point for festival goers who want to identify where there unit is amongst hundreds but on a normal site???? I'd rather watch local wildlife and birds which are frightened away by these silly things.
Total Posts: 1
We use fishing poles for our flags. We started off using a flag when I son was younger so that if he went off to play with friends he had made on site he would know easily where we were. He is now 13 so we no longer 'need' the flags but put them up anyway as they are harmless fun and make people smile. We take them down at night so that the noise from the flapping doesn't annoy anyone. Lots of other campers come over and say how nice they are. We have only ever had one negative comment and that was from a Club Site Manager.
Total Posts: 4
I bought the tallest one I could with the longet tailed kite just to show off !!!