General

Nose weight

Total Posts: 26
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
Weighed my van hose weight at 87 kg , I have a Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 2003 model is this too much? if so any ideas how I can reduce it? new to caravanning so any help appreciated.
Total Posts: 127
Hi the noise weight should be no more than 78 Kg on a saloon / hatch and
85 Kg on the estate on the Vauxhall Vectra. You will need to reload your caravan I would recommend first checking the front gas locker and try and load it to the bare minimum and then start looking at items in the caravan and moving the around the caravan and also load heavy items IE awnings over the axle of the caravan. You are loading the van too heavy at the front end its like using balancing scales just try moving the items towards the axle but don't make the rear of the van too heavy as this will cause towing problems.
Total Posts: 26
thanks looks like I need to sort loading out
Total Posts: 28
On some cars it is stated in the hand book ,it is in mine. Otherwise try a main dealership they should be able to provide the answer. If they can be bothered!
Total Posts: 1
I'm thinking about buying a 2007 Avondale Avocet caravan. I unable to find the van's static load on the coupling head. I have a 2ltr Skoda Octavia Scout, is this a good match for the van?
Total Posts: 45
I'm having similar noseweight problems. My car's max is 75kg. The noseweight of the van, calculated at 7% of MTPLM is 70. All seems to be simple, but with the front locker emptied of all but the spare wheel, which is correctly sited in the locker, the weight is 85 or more!!
Nothing for it, but to carry gas cylinders in the car and back load the van to get noseweight down to an acceptable level.

VW Passat and Elddis Odyssey 482.
Total Posts: 155
This seems to be a common problem with mist modern vans.
I tested my nose weight and with just the safe file gas cylinder, handle for the aquaroll,wheel chocks and leveling ramps it came in at 90kg,
careful back loading has got it down to the required 75kg.
If you look at most modern van the axle is nearer the rear this has some impact on the nose weight.
Please remember that if you need to backfill to not reduce the nose weight to lower than the vehicle requirement as this will impact the way the van handles.
Total Posts: 45
That's something I can't fathom out. There's a recommended nose weight for the 'van, 7% of MTPLM (or whatever it's called), then there's max weight on the towbar from the vehicle handbook. I can see that too little load on the towbar could lead to snaking and too much could damage the towcar.
So which/where is the vehicle requirement???