See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

General

Aerial

Total Posts: 26
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
Just been away for first time in my little van,got a decent tv pic I have a round aerial on top of van , just wondering if its worth replacing it or buying an amplifier, going to south coast in august so want to be sure of pic reception,any ideas any one?
Total Posts: 67
I live on the south coast and reception can be a bit variable, especially in Summer and despite the shift to digital. It depends where you are, but in Sussex the best option is the transmitter on the Isle of Wight and even at home we need an amplifier that wouldn't look out of place at an ELO concert. (Showing my age).

Frankly, I have given up on terrestrial TV and use satellite everywhere. I can then at least choose whether to watch the local, local news or the home local news. And even that can prove problematic.
Total Posts: 26
Thanks investigating now
Total Posts: 28
Go satellite its the future, and it is getting cheaper especially on eBay.
Total Posts: 228
Trouble with sat tv is that the dish has got to have a clear line of sight to the satellite, as the dish is so close to the ground that is sometimes not possible and depends on where your caravan is sighted, ie if the only pitch available is next to trees and the satellite is behind the trees, no picture. This can also be said for digital signals so it's a case of what you prefer, although, we have the aerial in the loft space which does not seem to affect the signal, the weather also plays a part in tv signal reception more so with satellite.
Total Posts: 51
I got the setup from maplins that comes in a case. It has a mout that uses suction cups which I stick on the roof via the heki light. Its quite easy to get the direction. So far have not had any line of site problems, touch wood. Couldn't justify £250 they wanted for the new status 550 aerial.seeing as the sat system was only £80.
Total Posts: 72
We just have round type aerial on our van but has a amp added most site we have not had issues but I have also got a portable satellite system now check out ebay got mine for about £30..
Total Posts: 102
In the UK we use an Avtex portable aerial with our Avtex TV and we haven't been to a site yet where we could not get good reception. Now that the UK is digital rather than analogue it seems much better. The Avtex is great because it is powered by the TV so you don't need a separate booster. If we are in Europe we use a Multimo satellite dish and Zehnder receiver. Although small looking the Multimo has always had good reception as far down as Northern Spain. After that, nothing.
Total Posts: 2
Many of the round aerials are for analogue signals. They can pick up a weak digital signal but it's not great. A portable aerial for freeserve is easiest - I use a signal finder (£14.99 from Currys) to get the strongest signal.
Total Posts: 190
Go satellite... Full kit to include tripod and dish for around £50 on e bay. Works a treat. We take our Sky box and set up is usually less than 10 mins....
Total Posts: 228
problem is all the old satellites are now going out of date and new ones are currently being launched if your satellite receiver is not configured to receive these new satellites no tv, roll out of 4g internet later this year apparently affects some regions that broadcast digital tv, filters are being provided but probably not for caravan or motorhome users, Maplins are selling such a filter for £15
Total Posts: 6
Satellite is the way to go. Just make sure you pick you pitch when you go on to site so you get a clear view. We went to Brittany for the past two years and even got all the UK channels there with a small dish in a case bought for £80 from marlins. Would not be without it.