Members:

See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

General

Legal Issues Dealer or Manufacturer (New Van)

Total Posts: 190
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
Has anybody got to the stage where they have taken legal advice either with the dealer or manufacturer?

If so what was they reason for legal advice and how quickly was the issued resolved.

I am very close to doing this but would appreciate any feedback from others who have have taken this route.
Total Posts: 228
I personally have not had the need to go as far as legal advice but what I would say is that if you have had repairs done and they are not up to your requirements then tell the dealer to put it right if they don't then you can tell them that you will seek independent advice and if the need be get it done elsewhere and send them the bill that is your right, if they are taking a long time to do the repair or cannot do the repair for a long time then tell them that you will make a claim for lost use. I would advise NOT to go to the manufacturer, why, because then you will loose all your statutory rights as to the dealer. Always deal with the dealer it is their responsibility, it is they who should go back to the manufacturer not you.
Total Posts: 127
Yes we did and won we got our advise from Consumer Direct on 08454040506 they pointed us in the right direction regarding the sales of goods act 1979 and the credit act 1975. But you remember that your contract is with the supplying dealer at all times not the manufacturer. Now when we buy anything we always pay a deposit of more than £100 with a credit card.
Total Posts: 190
I have now taken legal advice - Should anyone need a template the following is an acceptable standard - As above ensure this is sent to your dealer NOT the manufacturer.

I consider that XYZ Ltd are in breach of contract and in breach of my Statutory Rights as a consumer. I refer to the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

I consider the item sold to me is not of satisfactory quality and is not fit for purpose.

With reference to rectifying this issue time is now of the essence and request a full repair within 14 days. In the event you are unable or not successful I will consider the contract to be fundamentally breached and this will be my notice of formal rejection, in such circumstances I will require a replacement or compensation in full.

Should the issue be resolved and re-occurs I will reject the item immediately.