General

BBQ, charcoal or gas?

Total Posts: 314
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
with this nice weather we will be getting the BBQ out this weekend (if it lasts?!?!) what do you use?
Me, a gas one, so quick!
Total Posts: 127
We use a gas cadac bbq its easy to use and control
Total Posts: 28
I use a gas BBQ but I use it to light the charcoal and hickory chips. The lazy way to get things going after years of using paraffin lighting sticks and eating paraffin flavoured food. Now we get to taste the flavour.
Total Posts: 72
gas at home but when out with the caravan I use charcoal just seems better and more of a challenge in the wind, rain, snow etc lol...
used the gas cadac everyday for the last 3 days. those gas points on the side of the van are a great invention.
Total Posts: 51
I gas is just so much easier, dont end up with cremated sausages.
Total Posts: 67
Sorry guys, but if it's gas its a grill, not a barbecue. I have a gas thing and it is quick, easy and convenient. It is also the only option in French sites where they are worried about bush fires.

BUT, it grills the food and you don't get that proper woody flavour. However, I'm with ao680271, use a gas grill to light the charcoal.
put some wet wood chips on the gas one if you want the 'woody flavour'? isn't it the smoke from the fat dripping on the coals/grill that gives it the smokey flavour??
Total Posts: 51
Or use a bit of bbq flavoring. Just as good.
Total Posts: 102
We haven't had the chance to get the BBQ out this year it has been so cold. When we do, we have a gas Cadac as well as a standard BBQ that we use in the garden. For caravanning we have a Cobb which is brilliant because it uses a very small amount of charcoal and cleans very easily. Roll on summer.....
Total Posts: 6
It's got to be charcoal every time. If I cook on gas, I'm in the van. Can't really see the point in using a cadac, as i have a perfectly serviceable cooker in the van that cooks the food without giving it any added flavour.
I don't know of any caravan cooker with a hotplate like a Cadac??
Isn't the idea of a BBQ that you GET some added flavour???