General

payloads

Total Posts: 228
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
Apparently the EU has issued a new directive to caravan manufactures on how they should calculate the payload on new caravans this came into effect at the beginning of 2011 the NCC have increased it slightly because of what British caravanners take away with them on holiday.The formula is
10L+10N+30kg (the NCC increased this to 50kg)
Where L is the length of the caravan less "A" frame in metres
and N is the number of berths
This new payload may look a little bit generous but does not include such things as batteries,gas bottles, water in the toilet flush tank,hookup cable,spare wheel and a jack and other options that a caravanner may want to put in or on their vans ie a mover so all those eat into the user payload.
This new directive does not affect older caravans but the owners must be aware that overloading a caravan above it's MTPLM is not only dangerous but illegal, should you have an accident then you have no insurance.
I spoke to someone in the NCC about this some time ago because I found out that if you applied the formula to the Adria Astella which has a user payload of 240kg it would make the caravan some 20 metres long but it is not , without "A" frame it is only 6.1metres long
What I was then told was, and is probably common knowledge to every caravanner, the MTPLM is the MIRO (which is the weight of the van as it leaves the factory) plus the payload, and provided that the MTPLM is not breached then it was ok.
I then said that that was a bit unfair because if the manufacturer maintained the user payload as in the calculations and reduced the miro by lighter materials etc that would bring the MTPLM down, and that would make the caravan available for smaller cars to tow, great for the car manufacturers but not for the caravanner, what I would have imagined would have been fairer to caravaners would be to maintain the MTPLM as previous, apply it to the lighter caravan and that would give a more generous user payload.
Some car manufactures on the other hand work the opposite way, take my tug, it has a kerbside weight of 1851 kg, it has 175 brake horse power and going by the 85% guide line (and it's only a guide line it's not law) the maximum weight of caravan I would be able to tow is 1573kg but the manufactures in their infinite wisdom have decided that the max towing weight should be 1500kg. Compare that to a friends car which is a Kia Sorento I think is 2006 vintage it has a kerbside weight of 2200kg I think (not be far off with that) only 165 brakehorse power, going by the guide then his car should tow a caravan of 1870kg but Kia has put a max towing weight of 3500kg on it.
So if we were to put a heavy caravan on his car and the same caravan on my car (provided I was allowed) my car because of the more powerful engine would tow it better cannot see the sense in that.
Obviously some people tow at over 100% and provided they do not go over the max towing capacity of their vehicle and there caravn is not over the MTPLM then it's perfectly ok, but takes a bit of bottle to do that because then the caravan outweighs the car which is a bad thing should you have to brake hard but each to his or her own, I don't make the laws I abide by them.
Sorry I got the calculations wrong for the Adria instead of 20 metres long it should read 15metres long but this is still 9 metres over what it really is, thats in the 4 berth configuration it gets worse in the 2 berth configuration it calculates out at 17 metres
I know that Adria caravans are not built in Britain but in Slovenia, and as they are in the EU they come under the EU directives
Total Posts: 155
It is amazing how easy it is to overload your van.
I put all the heavier items into the car I-E awning, bottles, caravan spare wheel etc but even then I put them as far forward of the car's rear axle as possible to keep the car even.
If you load your van up even with the basics and tool it to a weighbridge the result would scare most people as to how much the basics weigh.
Very true, I go all over in my caravan and I am often amazed when watching people set up what comes out of their caravans, one guy next to me opened the door out came an awning and poles, then a mobility scooter then a gazeebo then a bbq, water containers, waste hog the caravan also contained all the clothes for 5 people and they only came in 1 car.
I dare say that a lot of people load their caravans and don't realize how much the caravan eventually weighs with all the stuff onboard, if it is above the MTPLM then if an accident should happen their insurance will be null and void.
I bought one of those CWC devices which you put the jockey wheel on then roll each wheel of the caravan over it, it then gives you what each part weighs and also gives you a total so you know what your caravan weighs before you set off. well worth the money. You can get the 1000kg model for about £130 which will way a caravan that is potentially 2000kg bigger caravans will have to use the 1500kg model.
At one time you could see public weighbridges just about in every town but now they seem to have disappeared (except for industrial ones which still can be used by the public if you can manage to find one)
Total Posts: 22
I can't get over the number of people who have two 40ltr water hogs and fill them up before they leave home. That is a hell of a lot of to carry round - 80 kilos extra weight, and I've seen it many many times! Some apparently also fill up the toiIet flush tank as well, up to another 10 kilos. I asked one caravanner why he filled the water hogs up, his answer was that if travelling a long distance, they liked to stop a couple of times to make a drink. He was quite surprised when I suggested he filled a 2ltr milk container with water to make the drinks instead of the water hogs (he hadn't even thought of that!), and even more surprised when I said he would probably get an extra 4 or 5 mpg by not carrying the water, and that his caravan was probably above the MTPLM.

I carry as little in the caravan as possible, two 6 kilo gas containers, two empty water hogs, dishes, saucepans and cutlery. Pretty much everything else goes in the car. We don't carry much food, just enough to make a meal when we arrive, and some cereals. Any other food we need, we buy when we are there.
Total Posts: 51
Its not so much the power of the car but the weight of it. True it will tow better but the van will have more effect on a light powerful car than a heavier car with less power
Total Posts: 155
While We all think of what we Want to ma ke our trips more pleasurable, its amazing how little We really need, and do not forget if you added the plus pack to your van this reduces your weight allowance.
Then the motor mover etc.
We only take the basics and have found it works fine.