General

Satellite TV

Total Posts: 190
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
We take our sky box to the van and use a simple 43cm dish on a tripod bought on ebay for around £40. Works a treat. Initially the setting up of the dish was a little difficult but now mastered with the help of -

http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/

There is also a free satellite finder app available which is very good.

Athough I am not an authority on Sky TV I have been using it on site for many years and am happy to assist if I can.
For a detailed view of where satellites are try http://www.dishpointer.com/ this will give you a good idea of whre to point the dish.
Total Posts: 67
The satellite for caravans site is very good. It makes a change for someone, who seems to know what they are talking about, to write in an understandable manner.

I use a Manhattan satellite finder that I bought from RoadPro a year or two back and it never fails me. This has the advantage of being able to verify that you are 'on' the right satellite. Which helps. But, I use it in conjunction with a reasonable compas to find out where south and east are first.
The sites I have mentioned are both very good however a cheap compass is still a good bet. Point the LNB South and turn the dish slowly to the LEFT until you find the signal. Slowly being the operative word as some sky boxes, especially the HD box are more sensative than the older ones.
Total Posts: 72
if you have an iPhone search for an app called "Dish Align" its the best thing since sliced bread and its free... even better set my dish up at the weekend in under 2 mins.
Another very goof free app is Satfinder, I have used this and found it very user friendly.
Total Posts: 228
Problem is if you are a new customer of sky (less than 12 months) you are supposed to have the receiver connected to the phone line, that is so sky can update your set should it need to. Otherwise after 12 months the worlds your oyster. Also to get a signal the dish has to be in line of sight with the satellite any obstructions in its way and you will not get a picture, that has happened to me on several occasions (the site was crowded and only available space was beside trees) so now I use a digital tv with freeview installed have not yet encounted any problems (aerial is one of those status ones the directional type).
We have an aerial in the loft space at home and we get great reception so presume obstructions in the signal path do not matter that much, I don't know could be wrong but we get great reception.
Total Posts: 51
The other option is to have a second card which give you all the same chanels as the main. It is an extra 10 a month but if you use it at home as well it might be worth considering
Total Posts: 102
You can also pay a one-off charge of £20 for a card for your Sky box that enables you to use it anywhere without connection to the phone. It only gives the basic channels but we found that was enough. Since then we have bought a Zehnder box instead of taking the Sky box and that received all free-to-view channels.