See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

General

Hot water... how long?

Total Posts: 72
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
Just come back from my first weekend away this year and got chatting to a few people about hot water... so thought I would start the debate on the subject. I have a Swift Charisma with a Truma dual fuel hot water heater system... So how do you use yours,
how do you set your up once on site?
do you use gas or electric or both?
how long does it take to heat up?
do you leave it switch on all the time...especially if you use electric to heat the water...

its amazing what a few beers and people talk about on a caravan site ;-)
Total Posts: 127
We too have Swift Charisma and always heat our water up on electric which takes about half an hour to heat up. I was told by a old caravanner never pay twice IE why use your gas when you can use the electric which is in the cost of the pitch price. We also do the same with the heating system.
Total Posts: 72
Totally agree bigchris63 with your comment about paying twice... well I would being Yorkshire man :-)
Total Posts: 190
We never use gas, pitch fees include electricity so use theirs and save....
Total Posts: 15
Hi we allways use the elec water heater Trauma 10 ltr hot water within 20 mins don't turn off as it's got it's own controll stat, the only time we use the gas is when I test it at home at least twice a year.As we only use sites with elec hookup
Total Posts: 155
We always use electric on site, bot on one occasion when the site facilities were a bit duff we showered in the van and we used the gas in conjunction with the electric to heat the water quicker.
Total Posts: 228
Tend to agree if you use a hookup, then as you are not paying for the electric by the kilowatt hour, then use it. The water though does heat up quicker if you use both, I don't use hookups so have to use gas.
Total Posts: 28
I get the wife to shout at the water tank it gets hot then!!!! he he
ah insect thats not nice, I bet she is a lovely woman
Total Posts: 28
Just upgraded my water heater from the bog standard Truma to the new Whale. Its brilliant from cold (arriving on site) we then use both gas and electric together. Fully hot within 15 minutes then the gas goes off and the rest is thermostatically controlled so we leave it on, the circuit is well protected. Showering as long as we space 15 mins apart gives a full prolonged comfortable shower now not going cold just as you want to rinse off. No I do not like site showers after a family member got Verrucas from a contaminated shower unit. I know sites generally do their best but cross contamination is always possible. We like to keep our germs to ourselves, we have grown to like them they are now part of the family.
Yep, when they leave sad to see them go. he he.