See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

General

Break Down cover when towing...

Total Posts: 72
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
After a bit of info around break down cover when towing a caravan..
I get cover with my bank account for the car but if I have the caravan in tow the cover isn't enough so, Who do you have your cover with ?
Total Posts: 127
My car is covered by Ford Direct for 2 years which as breakdown cover with the AA I did ask the AA and Ford if they cover me if I breakdown whilst towing they both send yes but the would not cover me if I have problems with the caravan.
I did phone around different breakdown services and only the AA and RAC will cover the car and recover your caravan if you have a problem with the tow vehicle no matter of the length. But Green Flag and other breakdown companies only will rescue your tow vehicle and caravan if the caravan/ trailer is no more than 21ft. But if you are a member of the Caravan Club or Camping and Caravan Club I recommend there breakdown service which is Green Flag but they will cover caravans / trailers over 21 ft on their breakdown cover.
Thanks, I have cover with the RAC at the moment but it runs out at the need of the month hence seeking advise... Cheers
Total Posts: 15
Hi I have been a member of Green ould not find a fault got us going Fag for a long time used the a couple of times for a dead battery but on friday of last week we had just left the C&CC at Leek Staffs,when my Sorento stopped called Green Flag who unfortunatly were inundated with calls that day they got to us in about two hours,Chris got us going only to get about another mile and we stopped again this time Chris hitched our caravan to his truck carefully we drove to the Green Flag depot near the M6 to cut this story short my fuel pump in the diesle tank was completely clogged with crap from what I don't know but two hours later and the cost of anew fuel filter we were on our way.
The £80 per year is well worth paying and ther is no quibble if your towing at the time of (hope not ) any break down by far the best service .
Total Posts: 15
Apologies for the mistakes of my last reply
Total Posts: 88
i had exactly the same problem yesterday ,on changing cars i was talking to my insurance and asked the same question ,i get full RAC home start plus recovery with my car insurance ,now it seems that if the car were to breakdown they would take the car and caravan to your designated place ,but if the caravan were to suffer a puncture or seized bearing /brakes etc they would NOT attend at all.

on phoning the RAC directly it seems this has only been in place for a couple of years ,if you wish RAC cover on your caravan as well ,you have to join the caravan and camping club and THEN inform them you have done so to activate
there arrival caravan recovery scheme ,luckily for me i am not a member of either club as if i had been with the caravan club instead i would have had to join the other one as well .

whatever car recovery service you subscribe to its worth phoning them and asking if they cover caravan puncture repairs in there schemes or you could end up with a large unexpected bill
and bobjen ,if it had been a caravan puncture green flag would NOT have come out to you ,there policy is exactly the same as the RAC see my post above
We are insured with Aviva and have there breakdown service. I have told the insurance company that i tow a caravan and they add this detail to the breakdown cover so as to make sure i am covered. Also my caravan insurance policy covers breakdown on the caravan only so between both insurance companies i am covered. As always it is always the best policy to tell your insurance company and breakdown company what your intentions are and then if they dont want to cover you find someone who does , there are plenty to choose from
ah but does it cover punctures ,i was quiet surprised by the answers i got from different companies ,most now insist you belong to one of the two big clubs who have a bolt on addition to your normal recovery ,

all i,m saying is it doesn't hurt to ask the direct question
Total Posts: 2
Hi bigchris63, with regard to your statement about length restrictions of the caravan/ trailer being no more than 21ft, I am a member of the Caravan Club, and joined their Mayday UK breakdown service provided by Green Flag. This is part of their service, and I quote from the Caravan Club website, "No size or weight restrictions, we cover any combination of car, caravan and motorhome".
So, according to that, there is no restriction on the size of your caravan when covered through Mayday UK.
Total Posts: 2
Hi, We are covered by Britannia Rescue, cannot fault them. We had a puncture on a French motorway last year, phone them they arranged a repair, the breakdown truck arrived within half an hour. Changed the tyre and although we had to pay him cash we were refunded the cost after we arrived home. This was on a Sunday afternoon.
Total Posts: 1
Hi, i have cover for my towcar with Vehicle rescue direct, Which is part of AXA group, i have been with them for a few years now and cover for your caravan is included whilst you are towing without any size restrictions (our 'van is 8ft wide & 26ft long including tow hitch) Nationwide rescue last year was £37-95, you can add homestart, european breakdown, . (which covers repatriation) etc.
Do yourself a big favour and check them out
bri444
Total Posts: 127
Hi sky Blue regards the length restrictions if you join Green Flag direct not if join via the Caravan Club ( MAY DAY ) etc. They have a caravan/trailer length restriction of no more than 21ft which I think its a silly rule.
Total Posts: 18
Join ADAC, £86.33 per year cover for you in any car, your wife separately in any car, and your caravan - all UK & Europe wide so no more extra rescue cover need when you holiday in Europe with your van (no van size limits here either) Take a look at http://www.joysofeuropeancaravanning.co.uk/adacbreakdownservice.htm for details. You will not regret changing to ADAC.
my post was not so much a compare different companies but rather aimed at people who have ordinary car rescue cover and assume as i did that it will cover your caravan for punctures etc whilst under tow .

as i stated if i had not asked the question directly to my insurance /recovery companies i would have blissfully carried on till something went wrong ,then screamed the house down
Glad to see my post wasn't wasted and appear to have created some debate, I still haven't worked out what to do you but some great info... Many Thanks