General

electric tariffs

Total Posts: 2
Verified
Posted: 6 years ago
hi everyone i wonder if anyone can offer advice on this ,i am on a small
holiday static park in wales and despite asking for a bill many times we did not get one then after nearly 3 years we eventually recieved a bill . to my surprise all the elecricity used over the 3 year period had been charged at
the december 2012 price, when i contacted the owners they said that
the price of electric had increased and therefore they were not prepared
to make any adjustments to the bill and they thought it was fair that the new price should apply to the whole of the electric consumed over the past
3 years. i just wonder what other members thought of this "fair" way of
billing
Total Posts: 122
Please correct the mistakes below:
No The law states electricity can not be resold for more than the seller (site onwer/landlord) pays for it, Has he kept meter readings to prove how many Kilo-watts you have used Is there a meter in the van or sitebox. If I am right in thinking and you can prove it IE copy of letters sent to him or verbal witness,s. As he has not presented you with a bill I think he has forfited the right to claim for any supply older than 18 months old . Check with nearest Citizens Advice Bureau they should be able to tell you or find out for you
Total Posts: 2
thanks for that sandgrounder,yes each static has its own electric meter and yes
they have read the meters at shutdown time each year i have also read the meters at 3 monthly intervals its a mystery why they have not sent us the bills
i guess this way is the easy way for them but not very fair in my opinion
Total Posts: 228
It's law that the site owner can only charge you what he payed for the electricity as he did not generate it, and can only put the price up as and when the suppliers price went up, he cannot charge you the current price for electricity for previous years if that is NOT what he payed for it.
Total Posts: 314
so when it says £4 hook up per day & I only use £3 the site owner is breaking the law??
Total Posts: 67
No he's not. He is charging you for the facility. It is only when the electricity is metred that there is a restriction on charging more than they pay.
Total Posts: 314
yes i knew that really, but some sites are now charging a large hook up fee, fair in winter when we have the heating,etc on a lot, but not so fair in summer?
Total Posts: 88
One thing to look into is how the site runs it fee structure for siteing the van on there. If he has a yearly fee for siting the van then his electrcilty charge should also be a yearly fee unless you agreed to anything else. You should have signed an agreement / contract when you first went onto the site. NO site can charge you todays rated for previous years usuage . My advice is seek legal advice but be careful what you say to the site at the moment as they have the rights to kick you off.
Total Posts: 3
I think people are mixing up holiday static caravans with RESIDENTIAL static caravans. On holiday sites I think they can charge what they want within reason. It is only when it is a residential site where people actually live and do not have a home elsewhere that they can only charge what they have been charged + 8% (or near) for a meter/reading charge.

A statis holiday van is not for living in but for holidays and you have to have a residential home somewhere else. So that is when like a touring site they charge it as a job lot for electricity and service combined.
Total Posts: 67
Going back to Billy's post, yes, that is a good point. Especially when a fairly small solar panel can provide the same amount of electricity.

To follow on Bessy's post, the difference is whether or not it is metered. Even the caravan storage yard where I was keeping our caravan had to charge without adding anything.
Total Posts: 228
As people have said static caravans are different from touring caravans the later uses a hookup chargable by the day and what the site charges is at their discretion, but you will probably find that the price for a hookup is more than the actual cost of the electricy used somewhere arout £3 - £4 per day but that is for fair usage you will of course get some people abusing that and some people who will not use anywhere near the fair usage amount.
On Patrick Stoners comment " a fairly small solar panel can provide the same amount of electricty" to what size panel are you refering and how much electricity and what voltage?