General

sterilization of fresh water system for new season

Total Posts: 122
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
Hi Campers How do you clean your vans fresh water system. I know I mentioned this in a early post on preparing my van for March 1st , But I thought I would just let you know that while in Home Bargains Saturday I spotted Johnsons Baby Bottle sterilizer 89 p for a 1.5 litre bottle, thats two for less than a 1litre bottle of fluid from a caravan shop . I have bought 4 bottles as I sometimes do it again later in the year usually the drains and waste water barrel. The rest will keep for later use even next year. now thats what I call a bargain. To remove unsightly tea stains out of your caravan cups. just fill cup with clean water add a quarter teaspoon of sterilizer leave to soak for an hr rinse with hot water. Good as new.
Total Posts: 4
Was just thinking about what to use, thought about Milton steriliser but that would be much more expensive, thx for the info !!
Total Posts: 56
I use Milton Sterilising tablets to clean out all of my water containers, which I then tip off into the grey waste water container (not the toilet tank) to get that clean a smelling sweet. I used to flush this water through the water supply system in the caravan but I was told that this can mess with the seals, so I now use a 'caravan' system cleaner for the water pipes, before we go away - everytime.
Total Posts: 155
Milton fluid or tablets should not really be used to clean your water systems as they contain chlorine which can affect the pipes.
Try aquastar 3 from truma.
Total Posts: 10
We had funny tasting water in our new caravan, and so went to a caravan dealer where we bought a powder designed specifically for the job. Filled an Aquaroll, dissolved 10 teaspoons of powder, opened the taps to get water into the pipes, then turned them off again, and left overnight. The next dat we flushed through with fresh water, as per instructions, and Bingo! Job done.
Total Posts: 88
I use sterilizing tablets on my water containers but on the caravan i use a crystal based product bought from Kimberley caravans which you dilute in water and pump into and through your water system. It tells you to leave the water live on your system for 24 to 48 hours and then flush out with clean water. I will be doing this next weekend when we take the winter cover off and get her ready for the off over Easter. I have been told you can use sterilizing tablets to do this with but they are not as good. Plus the tub you buy can last 3 to 4 years when used 2 to 3 times a year . It cost 12.99 which i think is very reasonable
Total Posts: 3
I used puriclean. It was our first time caravanning last year so went with what was advised. Thought it was easy to use and gave no problems, have already got it for this weekend to get ready for another great season!
Total Posts: 72
We bought the same sort of fluid as Milton but Wilkinsons own make think it was only about 56p for a litre. One bottle did two 40 litre water containers and then used to flush caravan system too... just filled it up and left it over night then flush with clean water... so did the lot for less than £2. Bargin :-)
Total Posts: 228
I use Puriclean, I fill one aquaroll let it stand for the required time then pour it into my other aquaroll then again after the required time pump it into the caravan then thoroughly rinse it all out, as G4VGH said it's easy to use and is not harmfull in any way to the enviroment when disposing of it, it's what the caravan fraternity recommends