See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

General

Replacement Caravanb from a dealer?

Total Posts: 56
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
I thought we were better of buying through a dealer for our Caravan. Well thats what I thought. we used Bicester Caravans, they looked after us well. But if we had not bargained there was no Battery, no gas cylinder, no water hook up or mains hook up. in fact the caravan had been stripped bare. if they had realised there were carafeet on the steadies I am sure they would have had them off as well. mmy biggest surprise came when they readied the caravan for me to tow, "did you save the tool from your old caravan for the steadies?" of course I didn't the new owner needed it. well I suppose we will have to give you one of those as well.. I supplied the gas cylinder, electric hook up, the aquaroll and wastewheeler. they put in a 110ah battery set of steps, and alko hitchlock. when we arrived on site I realised there was no waste pipe, so had to go into Oxford to get some, which was too narrow but was the biggest that Go Outdoors had..
Total Posts: 122
Hi did you buy new or used, usually when you buy new all,s you get is the van but some dealers throw in a pair of plastic steps the steady winder comes with the van some times a spare wheel. then you have to buy the battery the fresh and dirty water containers toilet fluids gas bottlle/s connection for gas, water pump unless built in but still need suction tube. you have to tell dealer what you want and ask if included in price and haggle to you can get as much as you can before saying you will buy. Some dealers will throw in gas pipe and water pump or tube and maybe battery. If buying used sometimes you can get everything required if they came with van, even awning as the seller has bought new and requires different gear to fit new van except maybe battery and steps and mains lead. Some sellers strip everything out and if they cant use it in their new van they sell it on e-bay. Likes of fire extinguisher and smoke alarms I leave in van so as not to leave any holes showing where fitted I always have some gear in my car and will pass it on when I find out whats coming with the new/used van like steady winder, mains lead, water pump, gas connection brand new plastic step I got when I bought van but not used,spare wheel if its no good for new/used van IE 5 bolt/4bolt 13inch/14inch ally/or steel if new/used van has only ordinary tow hitch my winterhof 3000 comes off my van and is not part of the deal a new one cost about £320. I use BP propane glass fibre bottles and two large are equal to one steel in weight. though differcult to obtain at most caravan dealers no probs at Homebase. During the season I will use about 1.5 bottles thats 1week away 1week at home March to end November
Total Posts: 102
We have been looking for a new (used) van recently. It would seem that many dealers strip the vans of pretty well everything. Motormovers seem the first thing to go and anything else that is removable. As it stands we haven't found anything that suits our needs but we are tempted to look for a good second hand private sale because of this.
Total Posts: 51
Most movers are taken off the old caravan to be fitted to the new van on part exchange
Total Posts: 2
Sorry to hear your disapointment old snowdrop but there mostly all sharks, you sound like an honest and trustworthy guy, and possibly a little naive, however lesson learnt im sure. Removing motor movers I can understand as they would have to provide warranty.