General

New season for many

Total Posts: 122
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
Hi Di Hi Campers. The new season will shortly be with us . I have been busy the This week preparing my van ready for the 1st March. I started by turning the gas on and putting the kettle on for a cup of tea( most important job).I have checked the tyre walls and moved the van 12inches, blown the tyres up to 60lb pressure( only required 1.5 / 2lbs per tyre), greased all the towing / braking mechanism, cleaned and greased the steadies, flushed the water system with water and baby bottle sterilising fluid [ 89p Ltr Home Bargains ] very well known brand. drained system again. Checked all gas appliances for leaks and working ok. Hooked up to my motor checked all lights ( had a blown bulb ) Frig works from motor, Motor mover works ok, Replaced empty second gas bottle, checked unused spare wheel Opened and cleaned all window seals, Sterilised toilet tank with Thetford and hot water Stripped down and lubricated with silicone grease not forgetting top seal. opened and shut all cupboard doors / skylights. The van before this one, I had great difficulty opening some of the push button cupboard mechanisms.[made from cast monkey metal and had oxidised shut ] I eventually managed to prise the buttons out using two watch screw drivers. I then stripped every push button in the van packed the knob out with two 4mm ID washers each 1 mm thick re-essembled all the locks using vaseline as lubricant. when the doors were locked the gap between the knob and the guide was approx 1 to 1.5 mm,s Which makes it very easy to prise out the knob after pushing to release latch if it does not spring back and out. I think I am ready for the season [put battery back on trickle charge in garage ] Can any body think of anything I have missed. I know some will comment they go all year round . But I think they are hiding from the Sheriff HAHa
Total Posts: 67
You know, posts like that can get you hate mail. :)

I looked outside last weekend and thought, I have a list of jobs as long as January - and that's long - and I should go and get on with them. But I didn't and the guilt had just ebbed away when your post made me feel all guilty again.

Still, I have copied out your post and extracted all the bits I'd forgotten to add to my list. Now all I need is somebody to post a really good list of 'better things to do.'
Total Posts: 314
been using van all winter so had no 'off season', I just do the jobs as things need doing whatever time of the year & clean it inside & out everytime we get back home.
Total Posts: 122
Hi Patrick how about putting the kettle on brewing up, setting the tv up and put your feet up while scoffing a packet of Hob-Nobs or chocolate wholemeal,While out of sight of the boss, before she collars you to get on with that 31 item January list.
PS dont forget to put your tarp down with a old blanket or curtain on top, the cold ground fair strikes the old bones when lying on your side doing your steadies But there again I am 73 next month and still wearing me long johns
Total Posts: 6
Thanks to Sandgrounder for the list for getting ready for new season. I will start my "workup" as we used to say in the Navy when this ruddy snow goes away. Woke up to 2" this morning. Check out the video on here for getting the paintwork ready too. Our first outing is the Motorhome show in April at Shepton Mallet. Oh well looks like I will have to just light the woodburner & make tea instead.
Total Posts: 155
Before I started caravanning all year round I used to check the van every month.
I used to leave all the cupboards open and stood all the seat cushions on edge to allow full airflow and reduce damp.
Total Posts: 10
What new season? All the year round is caravanning season.
Total Posts: 88
Sorry to say my caravan is still under cover until next week when we will take the cover off and get her ready for the off over easter. Being a new van we shouldnt have much to do. This winter really seams to have dragged on too long now roll on the summer
Total Posts: 19
Hi all its a new season and new van for us we are off to Skegness to try it out next weekend just hope we get some decent weather (no snow) RSpence
Total Posts: 314
Hi RSence, I live near Skeggy & its been snowing this week!!! but last week I was working outside inmy T-shirt! so its pot luck what it will be next weekend???
Hope its sunny.
Total Posts: 19
Hi Billy1 I guess its pot luck anywhere at this time of year we will be on north shore site next sunday with friends looking forward to it Rog