General

Payload?

Total Posts: 314
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
Has amyone ever taken all the 'stuff' out of the van & weighed it? if so how much was it over your max payload figure?!?
Total Posts: 67
I weighed mine full and that was frightening enough.
Total Posts: 155
It is amazing how much the basic equipment we take with us weighs.
When you look at the miro weight of your van this does not include the plus pack which eats into the payload.
I removed the spare wheel carrier and carry the spare in the car this can free up 30+ kilos.
So if your not sure take your loaded van to a weighbridge, and be prepared for a shock.
It looks like a lot of people just carry stuff in the car instead of the van??
Total Posts: 2
I am very careful about weight much to my husband's irritation!! We are about to change our van and the payload is less than the van we have now as we will have a fixed bed. We were able to upgrade plate on the current van which was far more than we needed but because the new van is lightweight, the upgrade is only worth about 10kg. However,it is useful that since we bought the current van the weight of the battery is now included in the MIRO which gives us an extra 14kg. I am in the process of whittling down what we take and what we actually need.
Total Posts: 122
When I empty the van for winter storage it only takes one car load that includes the battery but I leave water barrels +waste. The recommended wait of your van fully laden should be 85% of your towing vehicles kerb weight +1/2 tank fuel+65kilo for driver. The kerb weight of vehicle is makers unladen weight all liquids /battery/ spare tyre but empty fuel tank ,but this can get rather complicated if you have 4/5 versions of same model, So I take maximum braked towing weight of my motor +65 kilo for driver - 15% which equals=1436.5kilo MTPLM OF VAN 1448k. Some people think if you add more weight to motor you can tow heavier van, but could find you cannot tow up hills or van pushes you down hills when braking if you have had years of towing experience you should be able to tow safely 95% of the tow vehicle but never 100%
Total Posts: 67
Most full sized Land Rovers have a towing limit of 3,500 Kgs and yet a gross vehicle weight of little more than 3,000 Kgs, (often less, like the Discovery) so legally can tow up to 116%+ of their weight. I used to regularly tow a 3,500 Kgs Ifor Williams trailer loaded to the gun whales to-and-fro across France behind my Defender 130 and never had a problem, so I did used to wonder what all the fuss was about with caravans.

Then I towed a caravan weighing around 1400 Kgs and it was a totally different experience. The main reason being that a caravan, although much lighter, was a bit like towing an enormous sail. So, yes, big 4x4s can tow over the 100% guide weight, but it’s probably not a good idea.
Thanks for the replys, I know all about the 85% thing, it was the 'stuff' we all put in our vans I was realy asking about. Some vans have a very small 'payload' figure & I expect a lot of people don't think about what they add to their vans??
Total Posts: 1
That was my point. We have a user payload of 149kg and I have since found out that the battery is not included and that weighs 21kg. Luckily there are only the 2 of us and as far as clothes are concerned we travel light. I am in the process of weighing everything that is essential and ditching anything that is there 'just in case'. Not an easy task but well worth the effort for safety.
Total Posts: 122
Hi Billy1 my payload is 207 kgs and Mptlm 1448kgs so visited the local council weigh bridge with every thing I normally carry in van yesterday the pay load worked out 214 kgs.back home I took out everything bar battery must have,s stacked on left maybe could do without on the right, weighed all must have,s using bathroom scales put back in added to miro with battery which left me 97 kgs to play with. I asked the other half what we could do away with usual answer nothing and what about my clothes not our clothes. So I suggested we use nudest only camping sites and we would not need her three changes a day outfits. If looks could kill I am DEAD. so I have done away with caravan table replaced with two plastic trays removed microwave three pans 4 knives fork spoons three mug cups (visitors will have to bring their own as beer glasses wine glasses etc ) One toilet soil tank and one 2litre bottle of fluid, two extra blankets, two awning chairs, 8lts Bottled water [ will have to buy local when set up], hair dryer, Two pairs of wellies,spare walking shoes. So if we add food and reduced amount of clothes and my maths are correct we wil be about 2 kgs over. I HOPE. My BPW book and plate on A frame states the chassis with wheels as supplied to Geist will take a max Load of 1600 kgs, Quite a bit over the 1448kgs MPTLM van plate. So I dont think 5/10 kgs over is not live threatening.
Hi, didn't expect anyone to go to all that trouble!!
but well done, youmust have had a spare hour or two?!?!
Total Posts: 228
I have a payload of 155kg but this is reduced by whatever I have put on or in the van as an add on eg motor mover.
I have been in touch with the NCC about payloads and surprisingly the manufacturers are not governed by any Laws as to what they can say the payload can be, the manufacturers state a MTPLM which is made up of the mass of the van as it leaves the factory plus any allowance for gas bottles etc(this is the new europrean legislation) and the payload, and the manufacturers try to put the least possible MTPLM on the van so that people with small towing vehicles can be able to tow them, how well they do that is debatable, eg take the Adria Adora Seine it has a payload of 235kg, the mass as it leaves the factory is 1265kg it is physically the same size as mine except for the mass(they achieve the lower mass by using thinner materials etc) its MTPLM is 1500kg 5kg more than mine. If you now use the guide line to match a car to these vans then because of the same MTPLM then the same car can tow both, so why does Lunar not put the MTPLM of my van up so that it has the same payload answer because then you would have to get a bigger vehicle to tow it.