See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

General

First time caravan owner

Total Posts: 8
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
Hi all, we'll we now are the owners of an older caravan to replace our trailer tent.
My wife who has never towed a caravan before drove 40 odd miles in the high winds back to the house with our van.
We are going to have loads of fun sorting it all out but will be worth it.
The van is an Adria Optima 485b 1991 and apart from two small cracks on the front storage box and a couple of cracks on the rear light mould it's dry and needs a clean.
We got awning, chairs, microwave, toaster awning carpet, towing mirrors, duvet water bottles - in fact the only thing it didn't come with was a car and a driver. Going to get it serviced properly and then have loads of fun.
Total Posts: 314
Hi, you will have loads of fun both getting itr eady & when you go away. We find people so freindly on all the sites we go on,
Enjoy!!
Thanks, need to sort out the weight as there were loads of bits n bobs in front of van so car was quite low. Probably take a day or two to sort through all the stuff we got with it as there is a fair amount.
Total Posts: 122
Hi Naedoot welcome to the wonderful world of caravaning you should have a good idea whats required for a nice holiday having a trailer tent towing a van is abit different from towing a tent more rules & regs check up the cars kerb weight add weight of driver plus 1/2 tank of fuel then your van weight should only be 85% of that total when laden most cars have a 75/80kg nose weight unless a big 4x4 . you did not mention gas bottle/s in your haul of goods I am I right in thinking your van is all electric only . Adria did make some models in years past that were electric only, so you will have to choose your sites carefully unless you have a generator some sights wont allow them. dont mean to put a damper on things are you and your wife legal to tow a caravan ? I can but my mrs cannot because she has only just repassed her test in the last five years after a 20 year absence.She wouldn,t tow anyway as she hates driving but had to drive when I had an accident 5 years back as I wasn,t legal operating the clutch with my crutch. now and then I make her drive for a couple of hours to keep her hand in.
Hi Sandgrounder, When we were looking at caravans to buy I made sure to find out unladen and max load of vans. The Adria is just a good weight for my Citroen C4 1.6hdi. Both my wife and I have suitable licence so can tow as we both passed test a goo while ago before all the changes. When she got van home had a good look at her and found 2 x gas bottles, spare wheel, small trolley in from storage box, inside on the seats were two large chairs and under seats were awning poles, awning and awning mat. So I think that might just have been a wee bit on the heavy side ;) . Wife said the car felt fine towing no issues even in the high winds we had. We tend to look for site and get electric even when we had normal tent and trailer tent as it had electro and gas also. Just need to get in to the van and start unloading just to see what everything weighs in total and work frm there. I will invest in a nose weight gauge at some point and we will be upgrading car next year. Think auto may be the way to go again. Ideally I would love a twin cab nene 110 land rover but can't afford it. With any luck I will get some dry non windy days so I Can work away on it. Off to look at changing interior bulbs to led .