General

Ferry or tunnel?

Total Posts: 314
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
how do you cross the chanel with your van? & why do you choose the ferry or tunnel?
Total Posts: 67
For the last ten years it's been the Tunnel. A very lame reason, but we have a neurotic spaniel that I wouldn't want to leave on the car deck of a ferry. Coupled to which it can be quicker. The journey is now about 35 minutes as opposed to 90+ on the ferry. However, pick the wrong moment to turn up and the waiting time can make it slower than the ferry.

Not sure about pricing. It is probably about the same as P&O, but I haven't checked. More expensive than Norfolk Line, but they don't have the frequency of crossing and missing one could mean a long wait.

(Do I mean Norfolk Line? They were on the Dover routes, but maybe there's a new kid on the block.)

Overall, I think I prefer the Tunnel, but - apart from the dog - I would probably change around according to price, weather and other factors.

Total Posts: 3
I prefer the tunnel as it is so quick and doesnt matter what the weather, is your going to feel ok after the trip (if you no what i mean) .Also the pricing doesnt seam to be much different .Also the tunnel runs offers .Shame it is still cheaper to get B&B for a weekend in belguim than take the caravan.As i live in Kent it is quicker for me to go belguim or sothern france than it is to go to Cornwall Or Yorkshire
Total Posts: 1
We travel yearly to Europe to work abroad, with our American RV.
The 6,8 litre has been converted to run on LPG which unfortunately stops us using the tunnel.
We now use a well known ferry operator to Dunkirk and can get a return ticket for around 120 pounds including trailer, with an opportunity to having a little respite before our log journey southward.
thanks forreplys, I have looked at booking with the Caravan Club & can get a ferry for July at £72 return WITH the caravan!! but you have to book soon. Or the tunnel was £124 EACH way on tunnel web site!! looks a lot more??
Going to see if CC do a deal on tunnel now?
Tunnel on CC site £232.96!!!! return!!
Total Posts: 4
I consider the experience of the ferry crossing as part and parcel of the overall holiday and the cost and convenience factors of both either the ferry or the tunnel, whilst important in these times of having to watch the pennies, are a secondary consideration. The excitement of departing from the shores and arriving at the port are something to look forward to and enjoy. Being on a train just fails to compare,
We have tried both but much prefer the Ferry,Dover to Dunkirk £58 DFDS with caravan, Having driven for about 3 hours from Essex we like to relax have something to eat,We usually spend the night in the arrivals car park, There are usually lots of other caravans and motor homes there. So then wehave an early start in the morning for our holiday in Italy.
Total Posts: 122
Hi Folks All very interesting especially the costs involved. Have you ever enquired on Ferry crossings to Eire with car and van because there is no tunnel they rip you off shortest crossing is two hours something minutes on a bad day, You are still looking at prices over £480 which rises even further if you want a fornights caravan holiday in between. ps A Pal of mine has a dual towing vehicle Petrol / gas and has never been refused tunnel transport when traveling to Spain via France, He also fills his van bottles with gas in the Uk with a special adaptor he bought in Spain while topping up his Volvo gas tank
Having done both ferry and euro tunnel to calais over the last 12 years and then travelling to the vendee,the tunnel did come out on top, but since joining Brittany ferries club and getting 30 percent off fares and free breakfast for a annual fee,this is the way to travel.having a cabin on each crossing and less towing against tolls and cost of fuel means a better start to a French holiday.
I agree on the crossing to Eire or Northen Ireland, the all come out at mega money, but so do the longer crossings to France. I know it takes more fuel to do a longer crossing but not 6 or 7 times the cost??
Total Posts: 67
I would have agreed with Alan about the ferry being part of the whole holiday experience, some years ago I must have upset P&O big time. As punishment, every time i went on the ferry they arrange for at least twenty school party coaches to be on the same crossing. I used to take refuge in the Club lounge, but even that seems to have been turned into a circus.

So, 35 minutes of school child free travel for us. We either read or sit in the back of the Transit and watch a DVD. We even have a name for this, Tunnel Vision.

Yes, I know, we are very sad people.
go on an early ferry as kids hate getting up early & if they are on an early one will be grumpy & tierd & usually quite! :-)