General

WARNING TO BUYERS

Total Posts: 56
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
I am looking to buy a replacement caravan for my old 1990 ABI. I went onto Gumtree and spotted an ideal van a 2008 Bailey Pageant Burgundy. The first thing I asked the vendor if the caravan was still for sale. He asked for my e-mail so he could send more details. From there he suggested that as he worked on the N sea rigs and had just been through a divorce he send the caravan to me on approval as it was located in Scotland. He would arrange through e bay for my money to be held and only released when I was happy within 3 days. When I got the 'Invoice' from e bay it looked iffey so I contacted eBay. They do not operate this scheme and after I forwarded the invoice to them they confirmed it was a scam. This guy nearly had £5000 off me. My search continued, there was another Bailey Pageant Burgundy, this time a 2010 model, the reply from the vendor matched my first attempt. I have reported it to Gumtree. But beware, if the price of the caravan looks too good to be true it probably is a scam.
Total Posts: 4
its safer with a dealer
Total Posts: 102
There are some good private deals available. Have a look at the Caravan Club classified ads.
Total Posts: 10
Do you post on CT under another name? This post was also there a few days ago.
Total Posts: 88
i nearly got caught out on a caravan who the vendor needed a quick sale, lukily i researched the caravan to find out that is was a written off unit and the chassis number had been removed. The bloke was very pushy and we met in an industrial estate. i reported them after we left him saying the van was not what we were looking for
Total Posts: 4
It's a scam! They've done it with campervans as well, my husband replied to them last year when we were looking to get a new camper, luckily I realised and sent them an e mail which wasn't very complimentary to say the least...BEWARE!!!