General

Getting Ripped off from site ownersw, Help!

Total Posts: 2
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
Hi, Can anybody point me in the right direction with a problem I have please. I am currently on a static caravan site and have been since August 2011. I am buying my caravan from the site owner for £25,000.00. I pay her £400.00 per month cash in hand plus various lump sums. I am a law student and so typed up an agreement which I request she signs each time I pay.
like everyone else at the moment, I am encountering financial difficulty and so spoke to the site owner regarding selling the van back to her (we are not allowed to sell it to anyone else, if we do then she charges a gate fee of thousands and thousands of pounds!!). She informed me that I would get nothing back from her and that we would in effect call it quits. I have paid her £12,000; it seems very unfair that we should get nothing back, she only paid the previous owners £15,000 when she bought it back from them, then a week later she sold it to us and made £10,000. I have searched for legislation or cases of the same nature without much luck. I am a mature student with disabilities and a seven year old daughter. I appreciate that she must make a living but surely something somewhere protects us poor people! Any help would be greatly appreciated as the season and decision time is looming..... Thanks, Jane.
Total Posts: 3
jane,the site owner is under obligation to allow you to sell your van privately and give the owner max 18% of sale,the other way is to inform hmrc there are legal resytrictions on site owners and both the vat department and the inland rev would be very interested in your plight also the local consumer affairs office -letsa face it you have nothing to lose
Total Posts: 2
Thank you for your reply, I was thinking along those lines. Its just so sad when things deteriorate to this level. I have just received my invoice for this years site fees and I don't know if I should get a loan and pay the caravan off, or inform her of my intention to go down the legal route. Why cant people just be reasonable???
Thanks again, Jane