Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

General

Jack Pads or wood

Total Posts: 270
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
Hi All
Wondered what peoples opinions were on what to use under the corner steadies, do you use the pastic jack pads, blocks of wood or some other cunning method to try to stop them from sinking in soft ground. I personally have jack pads but also use cut lengths of wood too.
Ozzy
Total Posts: 314
jack pads, got a new set of 4 from good old e-bay for less than £10 inc P&P!
Total Posts: 1
We use both, jackpads on uneven ground but a good sized block of wood first as the pads tend to sink if the weater is wet,otherwise just wood on level ground
Total Posts: 122
Hi All, As my plastic jack pads are never removed I place them on to 10 inch wide x12inch long scaffolding boards which I left soaking over winter in Cuprinol about 10 years back and they have been on sand, grass, water. pebbles, slate even on concrete and tarmac and are still good as new I reckon I wil be playing a harp or grilling burgers and they will still be going strong the boards that is. I lost one of my rear plastic pads about 3/4 years back while down Cornwall.and the site owner came up with a spare someone had left on site so I now have 3 grey and one green but identical in every otherway.
Hi, do you have 4 of these boards?? they must wiegh a good bit??
Total Posts: 3
I've a set of stackable pads - they don't weigh much either and click together for storage in the gas box.
Total Posts: 122
Icarry my boards in the rear of the motor usually first out when arrive on site saves running round looking for packing or bricks if wet grass/or muddy as there so useful I dont worry about the weight The site in Cornwall was so steep I could not lower the jockey enough so my four blocks came in useful the front steadies were fully wound down. the back ones were about 3 turns I could not even use the porch awning , After 4 days the site owner offered us a better pitch nearer all amenities as it came vacant. So I always use sites I know and pitch numbers when booking when the kids are on summer hols. As some sites can come absolute chocker at this time. We have to go where her indoors chooses as she does not think of these things, But I have my ways of helping her to decide.
Total Posts: 4
I have the plastic jackpads attached - it saves having to carry any more weight in the front locker.
Total Posts: 228
I use 4 pieces of 22mm thick plastic sheet bought from a firm called Engineering Plastics they sometimes have off cuts which they sell cheap otherwise you will have to buy from stock, advantages are that they do not rot, do not suck up moisture, do not smell and are easy to clean and will last you a life time.
rcpilot how much do they weigh? or is that not a problem?
Total Posts: 88
i used to have the plastic jack pads on my Bailey Ranger but i cant use them on my Sterling Eccles as i have the uprated H/Duty support legs. As i work in a timber yard i looked into various types of wood and eventually decided that 300mm long sections of Decking Board 120mm wide and 28mm thick are more than adequate especially as the grooved side down helps grip to the ground and i have applied sand to the other side with woodglue to give a grip for the legs. The decking is already treated with a 10 year life so they will not wrot.
Total Posts: 72
just used jack pads never had any issues..
Total Posts: 15
We use jack pads as they are fitted to the steady's but if it's a bit wet then we use wooden blocks as well never had much of a problem.
Total Posts: 190
My Milenco jack pads are never removed however I always place a piece of scaffold plank measuring about 10ins x 10 ins under the pads regardless of where I am pitched. I painted the planks with creosote and they have been in use for many years. Saves getting mud all over the pads when parked up on muddy or wet grass.
doesn't the wood just get muddy instead??? & where do you carry them? & what about the weight?
Total Posts: 28
Verified
Boring
yes you are boring !!!
Total Posts: 228
In reply to Billy 1 the 4 plastic sheet pads that I use weigh no more than similar sized wood ones and less than water impregnated wood ones
I have never had the problem of the jack pads sinking in, if its soft i go on a hard standing site.
Surely people think about weigh when taking wood, etc with them??
Verified
still boring!!
oh dear never mind you won't be a bore forever i amsure!??!
you will
Reported
rather be boring than a know all ;-)
Total Posts: 155
Hi All,
I use wood with aluminium plates under the wood to stop it getting wet.
I use the standard type o plastic pads for the bottom of the corner steadies, These are permanently fitted with S/S bolts rather than the breakable fragile plastic pins Then these sit on sections of decking bought from a contractor each one is about 3 times the area of the plastic foot. We use them on ALL surfaces and find that it makes for a stable van and stops damage to the plastic pads.
Total Posts: 39
We just use aset of large plastic jack pads - only £8 from towsure. Quite strong and very easy to fit.
Total Posts: 56
Plastic corner pads fitted to the jack legs. Also a stack of plastic discs to stack under if the ground is not level. I carry the discs in my tow car which is not bothered with how much I load in.
Total Posts: 2
my van has pads but i carry square pieces of wood too just in case :-)
Total Posts: 169
Just bought a set of jack pads (bring blocks of wood just in case!)
Total Posts: 4
I use 150mm square s/steel chequer plate 6mm thick under each corner steady. Carry them in the gas locker when not in use. Used them for 20 years and never had a problem with them sinking into wet ground.
Page 1 of 2