General

Channel Tunnel Or Ferry?

Total Posts: 6
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 5 years ago
Can anybody tell me the cheapest way to get to Royan on the west coast of France with my Elddis Supersirroco (nearly 8metre) caravan. At the moment I'm planning to use tesco vouchers on the tunnel which, depending on time of travel is costing between £102 - £142 each way for a Friday/Saturday crossing. I'm travelling from Cardiff so its about 250miles in the UK & 500miles in France. My Jeep does about 20 Miles to the gallon when towing so fuel costs are going to be about £250 each way. Anybody know of any cheap ferry crossings which will lower the milage & fuel costs

Thanks

Steve
Total Posts: 314
Was looking at crossings myself & the longer ones (to like Cherborg) are coming out at £400+ each way !!!! a Dover crossing in July with the caravan club was only £69! (my van is not 8metres) so think the cheaper option is Dover & drive down?
Thanks Billy. Looks like the tunnel it is then. With the tesco vouchers you divide the cost by 3 so even the dearer fare @ £142 is less than £50 of vouchers.
Total Posts: 57
Hi Steve, We have done that run a number of ways (also from Cardiff), the Tesco vouchers are a good deal and Folkestone is a comfortable run in a day. Our favoured way of doing the trip is Portsmouth - Le Havre with LD Lines. The ferry we used was small, pokey even, but the crossing was cheap and it saved us between 5 and 6 hunderd miles of towing (fuel and tolls). This crossing could also potentially lessen your trip by a day. Avoids the dreadful M25 too. Enjoy your hols.
Thanks Ken. I'll have a look at L D Lines.