General

Brand New Caravan Faults and Problems

Total Posts: 155
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 1 year ago
Hi Ozzy and wotshername, this looks like you 2 may have identified a common fault with your vans.
Lets hope this thread will be used by others to highlight problems with their vans.
Total Posts: 3
I am amazed to read all the faults on new caravans but would assure readers thar this is not the norm. Reports of problems are quite rightly reported but how many buyers write to complement the quality of their caravan and dealer.
We took delivery of a Baily Unicorn 2 Valencia the week before Xmas from Dickinsons Caravans Bradford and are delighted with the van and the service from this dealer. Lets hear more about the quality of British made vans. They do exist.
Total Posts: 3
Verified
I had a Lunar caravan with an internal water tank that worked on a pressure switch. It developed a leak, so the system emptied the contents all over the plywood floor. I expressed concern about this to the dealer and was reassured that the floor was made of marine ply. After about the the third leak the floor went spongy, so I traded it in quick to the same dealership ;) I always buy a van now with micro switched taps.
Total Posts: 270
Lightgeezer. I have absolutely no doubt that some are more than happy with their vans, however I do believe that as a nation, we also suffer from the stiff upper lip syndrome and do (to the main) cut our cloth accordingly and get on with it without actually voicing our complaints. I can actually say that me n 'Er in doors still love our van and it is the layout that we chose after extensive viewings of other manufacturers offerings, but the point I was trying to make is that it is frustrating that the manufacturers don't have a consistent approach to end of line QC and fault rectification before they dispatch the vans to the dealers who then have to try (where they find them) to carry out any repairs before the vans are collected by the customers.
Ozzy
Total Posts: 6
After reading all these comments i feel we got off lightly when we collected out new 2012 Buccaneer Clipper in August. We had the toilet door handle had broken off, the kitchen window fly screen was torn, the living room blind didnt fully close, the toilet end cap was missing. There was no pigtail for the gas bottle.
I do wonder how the caravan dealers get away with it, We would never accept a new car with faults. It has taken us until now to get all these issues sorted and that with the dealer sending us the parts to do our self.
Due to personal reasons , we need to down grade to a lighter van and have ordered a new 2013 Elddis advante 574 from a different dealer who has promised us that he will make sure the van will be perfect,,,,well watch this space!
Well the dealer picked my van up on Jan 10th have not had any contact from them yet but I gave them a list of faults that takes the total to 35.
So as I cant go anywhere in the van we have gone to Tenerife.
No snow no people who cant drive in it and 25 degrees, heaven.
Total Posts: 12
Just been reading all of these postings regarding faults with new vans. Answer is, dont buy a new van. Let someone else take the hassle and just buy quality used. I have had two vans in the last 10 years, first was a bailey pageant imperial. Never a fault with it and I had it for three years. I now have a Hymer Nova, which is 10 years old and it appears everything is original and it all works fine. It is a bit heavy, but I have just been up to Blackshaw Moore in the Staffordshire Moorlands in it over Christmas and had a great time.
Total Posts: 12
Just been reading all of these postings regarding faults with new vans. Answer is, dont buy a new van. Let someone else take the hassle and just buy quality used. I have had two vans in the last 10 years, first was a bailey pageant imperial. Never a fault with it and I had it for three years. I now have a Hymer Nova, which is 10 years old and it appears everything is original and it all works fine. It is a bit heavy, but I have just been up to Blackshaw Moore in the Staffordshire Moorlands in it over Christmas and had a great time.
Total Posts: 1
I'm going to the Spring Caravan & Camping Show in February with intention of buying a New Lunar Clubman!! after reading all the postings I feel a bit doubtful now having had 7 Lunars since 1986. Had a few problems in the past but this last van had a serious water leak over the front window just after the warranty expired but Lunar did make a contibution to the cost when I wrote to them. I like many of you feel that some dealers do not take the inspection of the NEW VANS seriously enough. I was at my dealers when the new van was delivered to them. It looked as though it had been stored in a ploughed field, the Van I was part exchanging looked the new one. I collected the van the next day and it was handed over to me in the pouring rain outside, it had only been partly cleaned and I question the PDI. I had to then drive home 180 miles in wet clothes. Do you buy from a dealer who offers you the best price or from a more local dealer where you can expect a decent level of service??
Hi ar070834
Welcome too the world of new caravans.
It would be nice if you felt confident in buying a new Lunar van, but as you have said your last one had a leakage problem.
If you buy new and end up with problems you need a dealer that is close to your home.
You could try a dealer special the extra spec that might get you a proper van.
The decison is yours as the saying goes buyer beware.
Total Posts: 4
Well after reading this thread I hope when I take my Swift for its first outing I don't have the kind of bad experiences you guys have had !!
Hi Trojan82,
I hope you dont have any teething problems.
I will get my van back next week after 7 weeks back at the dealership.
Hopefully for the last time, but knowing my luck no chance.
Total Posts: 5
Newby and first post
Ok add us to the list we have had 2 new Sterling Europa’s the only problem we had was the 550 has a drop down TV unit and the catch … catches kept breaking despite up grading with an extra thumb turn catch. I understand they have stopped using the drop down unit now.
In July we brought a New Lunar Clubman SB one of the last ones with cladding on the side as my wife calls it!! 1st time out on a caravan club site all ok 2nd time a non-electric site the fridge would not stay alight when running on gas warm tinnies   back to the dealer it went and they fitted a new PC board all ok. A few trips later and a week on a caravan club site mid-week the microwave decided to stop working end of our weeks holiday called the dealer and booked it in it was a loose connection block so they cable tied the block together then last time out a few weeks ago the filter fell out of the kitchen tap and I have not been back to try to fix it yet but I understand the end just screws off?? However we have had some great trips away hassle free and as you may of gathered I don’t do DIY but on the plus side there are a few nice CL’s near to the dealer and I make it a 3 or 4 day round trip.
Happy caravanning Ian50
Total Posts: 88
Hi , we bought a 2012 Sterling Eccles 544 Lux in september last year and only had one initial issue which was the fly screen on one of the front windows having a fault in the stitching of the screen . The company we bought it from replaced it without any issues. On our first outing the wardrobe door lock seized so didn't work and then the toilet stopped working. Again these issues were sorted out straight away. We found out afterwards that the toilet fitted was one of the new ones being fitted in the 2013 models and that there was an issue with the pump in the cistern unit. I must point out that the dealer we bought our caravan from were very good and quickly dealt with these issues . they are Kimberley Caravans in notts
Total Posts: 109
Hi brought a new Swift Charisma 550 Freestyle in June 2010 within 16 weeks we had problems with the front panel cracking in 4 places above the front windows and gel coat cracks in the front and rear panels. We returned the Caravan back to the dealers and a warranty claim was put in to Swift and we was asked to return the caravan back to the Swift factory for repair which we took it back ourselves.
Total Posts: 122
Hi All members of the Caravan Owners Club, dont you think its about time the people running this web site informed the British Caravan Manufacturers Association or what ever they call them selves of the serious amount of genuine complaints posted on this section of forum, Inviting them to log on and read the posts. I assume you have e-mailed the manufacturer your selves but got no reply in frustration to the pass the buck by the dealers and the lenght of time you have to wait for any action to be taken. Most caravans now days cost as much as cars in each group. You get more action out of the car industry than you do the caravan industry WHY.
first trip away and found a few faults on the new unicorn valencia,one disturbing one.

wood effect around roof lighting coming away from ceiling in a couple of places,this has obviously not been fitted correctly in factory.window blind will not stay up on offside/side window.wardrobe door hinge seems to click slightly on opening making the door jump a bit.top corner of front window blind (corner plastic connection) coming apart.scratches to work top that you can't actually see when looking from above,noticed them when filling the fridge,some quite deep.

dealer informed and awaiting parts,the ceiling covering may be a trip back to the factory me thinks,lets hope not.

van is lovely,heating worked well.pump seems noisy,never had an onboard pump before.
Well here I am again in the hands of Lunar.
The dealers returned my van, so I checked the faults I listed when they collected it.
The reversing lights have been changed 3 times and they still fog up, I have not seen this problem on any others vans.
The shower tray where it is not supported has been resealed but as soon as I touched it it failed, Lunar have advised the dealers to use a different sealant but they don't think it will work and have requested that Lunar authorise the removal of the tray to put a support under it.
Watch this space!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Total Posts: 220
Hi all we have a 2011 model Lunar Clubman SB yes we have had a few little problems with it but overall we love it, the niggles were the sliding door to the bathroom, the top runner came free of the ceiling which was due to there being no fixing batterns in the roof space I repaired it using those aluminium expanding bushes, jobs a goodun cannot detect the repair, one of the perspex panels in one of the doors on the cocktail cabinet cracked got a new door from Lunar, the outside awning light was glowing 24--7 (this is a defect in the design) Lunar sent a small electrical harness free of charge which fixed the problem (the problem is recognised easily, check the awning light in the dark without it being swiched on if it is glowing then contact Lunar). Not a defect really but an omission, splash back to the bathroom wash basin which I made from clear perspex and fixed using mirror screws.
You will always get the odd one or two caravans that have problems no matter which manufacturer you choose, you might be the unlucky one that might get a complete and utter scrapper on the other hand you might be the lucky one and buy a van that does and might not develope any problems at all, you pays your money and takes your choise in the end it comes down to the layout, the finish both inside and out and what ever other criterior you might have when you look for a van, you cannot possibly know before hand what problems you might or might not encounter.
Good luck with your vans and most of all enjoy your caravanning
We ordered an Elddis Avante 576 at the NEC show is October. Finally arrived 30th Jan and we were chuffed!
Took it the 4 miles home and parked it up only to find a crack and small hole in the front pannel near the grab handle - gutted is not the word! On closer inspection we also saw the decal on the front was half missing which surely should have been picked up at the time of being put on!
Inside the van the wall next to the bathroom door was not secured to the floor and practically flapped about just from being touched - the rest of the van looked fine at the time but we were sooo angry!
Many phone calls to the dealer later we had a chap round next day to assess the situation - he was fab and took our problems back to the dealer who contacted Elddis straight away. 3 days later we took the van back and the Lamplas guys came out and did a fabulous job sealing and repainting the damage which actually looked better than new - we were offered (as a gesture of goodwill) a 3 year warranty on the front pannel instead of the usual 1 year.
Whilst at the dealer they tried to mend the problem with the bathroom wall and it did indeed seem fixed but by the time we got home it was flapping again and the pannel more damaged - really not happy!
The dealer was great and arranged for us to talk to the team from Elddis at the February caravan show at the NEC - they were really good and arranged for the van to be transported back to Elddis the next week for all repairs to be made good - we also informed them of several other minor issues with the pump, TV reception, heating etc which they promised to look into.
10 days later they delivered the van back - decal replaced, wall replaced and mended, pump changed and fiddled with, tv aerial "adjusted", heating vents swapped round as wrongly fitted on production. Bad weather has not allowed us to go out in it yet but very impressed by the dealer and Elddis who did everything they could to put the situation right - the wheel lock, alarm system and shelf pack etc did go a long way to sweetening the deal also!!
Total Posts: 6
Verified
Hi guys I would like to let you all know that I am new to caravaning and we bought a second hand Bailey Ranger 470/4 from Albion Cararvans Bradford, I have had one small problem with the rear break light working intermitent when I checked it out I found that someone had wedged the bulb with a match stick instead of replacing the bulb holder, i spoke with the staff and they were so helpfull ordered me a new bulb holder and didn't quible or moan about anything, just awaiting there call so i can collect the new part and fit it, i am really shocked to hear all peoples bad experiences with the dealers, I really can recomend this dealer for been so good and helpfull.
I cant fault our dealer Kimberley Caravans in Nottinghamshire, When we reported the small defects we had and the pump problem they were quick to resolve them . They are very curtious and helpful in both the parts shop and the after sales department.
We bought a Lunar Lexon in 2008 brand new and have had loads of problems with it. The most significant being the floor delaminating and a leaky roof and all the ceiling tape coming off. Due to a house move a local dealer took on the warranty claim, for which we were very grateful but the van ended up back at Lunar three times before being repaired to a satisfactory standard. They did compensate us but we ended up loosing the use of our van for a whole season.
Total Posts: 2
We have been caravanners since the 1980s and our first van was a old Marden Silverstar,we towed that van(it was my office and home whilst working)40k miles per year for three years without any faults it was fine.Next was a t/a challenger 8months old and before we'd had it a year door handles broke,doors fell off and it had to be resealed,on complaining we were told that we should not take the van off the road because its not designed for that.Nuff said.Next one a 1yr old Tabbart built for british market,the best van we have ever owned.The tabbart was sold and a 1yr elddis Avante 534 purchased,it was a pig to tow because it found that it could not travel in a straight line.We could only use it in warm weather,the inside of the fridge was warmer than the bedroom.Latest van is an Elddis crusader which was 12mths old when we bought it in late October.This van tows very well(a dream really)and we are quite please with it but it is not without faults,Fridge/freezer-new control board £240,reseal-£120+,waterheater £? and edge trimmings peeling off,the finish in the cupboard over the roomheater and all cupboards the flue goes through are peeling off.I will glue it back when I find some fire proof glue or better still,sell the monster and move to Teneriffe.

i
Total Posts: 28
The best van I ever had for quality workmanship was an Avondale Harrier, since then we have had two Baileys each three years apart and it is noticeable that as the caravans get later in year the quality is not as good, almost as if the workers have no pride in their work / company.
I notice from the correspondence here and talking to my INDEPENDANT service engineer that the Bailey problems with damp in the newer models are not that rare. Perhaps their caravans were the ones that Bailey parked a car on the roof to show how well built they are.
On reflection though I think most owners would rather have a damp free caravan and one that does not lose the ocassional wheel.
Yes, I am a Bailey owner but mine is a Senator and its perfect, so what happened after 2006 at Baileys.
PS I know it has been asked before, but why cannot manufactures put the spare wheel in a floor recessed area inside the caravan, like Avondale used to do?
Total Posts: 161
We have a Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 2, does anyone have a noisy on board water pump? Our sounds like a tractor and other Bailey users with a on board pump tell me theirs is loud also.
We have a 2010 Lunar Clubman(from new). Picked it up from the dealer (Highbridge), lousy wet weather, got it on the drive and started to give it a thorough check over. Kitchen top was scored, seat cushions stained/marked, puddles of water on the forward shelf below front windows. Dealer sent man with van, replaced cushions, filled and blended the kitchen top, removed the screws from the lower window catches moved catches rearwards as far as rubber seals would permit and then installed the screws again. Stopped the windows leaking, bottom edge of windows have now fretted through external gelcoat.
Mods so far:
Mod 1 - Found the heat from the two aft burner rings were heating the wardrobe panel more than my bacon - Installed a stainless steel heat sink/splash panel, 10 out of 10.
Lighting everywhere in the van except central fwd position above the table - Installed a LED light strip and wired it into the fwd nearside 12v lamp wiring, 10 out of 10.
Done the spring clean and wash and noticed a hairline crack (10mm long, along centre line) in the forward roof skin radius, dead centre, approx 250mm above the upper window gutter. Returned from trip to Wye valley, crack is now 40mm long. No impact damage, looks like a stress fracture (I am an aicraft engineer with experience in fault diagnosis) in the roof panel. Has anyone had this fault on a roof panel? I'm considering a DIY fibreglass and gelcoat repair (aircraft experience), has anyone had problems with this type of repair?
Hi Lew2453 , i would have thought that the crack that has appeared would be covered under the manufacturers warranty . I know on the Sterling i bought last year there is a 5 year warranty cover on the external panels of our van. I would get this checked out before you start to do a DIY job as this could also invalidate any further warranty you have on the van
Just had a short break in Wales.
As we left home the van came off the towbar which was strange as I checked it was correctly hitched, but the worst thing was that the breakaway cable did not pull the brake on.
The clip piece just snapped off, if the same cables are fitted to all new Lunar vans this could be a major safety issue which may result in a recall.
I urge all owners of Lunar vans bought from 2012 on to have them checked out.
My van is now back at the dealers having this looked at along with a proper repair to the shower tray and a new problem with the offside brake light.
Not forgetting the reversing lights still misting up when it rains.
Deep joy here goes another few weeks.
Hi, we have a Bailey Approach 760 with a nosey vibration coming from the microwave when moving along. This is the second microwave been fitted to the Approach the first one had loose sides have been tolled to check the mounting screws. but has any one had this problem thank you Andy.
Page 2 of 4