General

Modifying your van

Total Posts: 67
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
I am, I'm afraid, one of those people who cannot leave things alone. As far as I know, when Elddis built our caravan they didn't really have me in mind or they wouldn't have fitted space for six people to sleep. So I changed it to sleep two and while I was at it added air-con, a motor-mover (need two), wind-up satellite dish and a few other bits and pieces. I also love gadgets.

Point is, am I alone or are there any others tinkerers out there?
Total Posts: 314
I find I am always buying bits & bobs for the van & sometimes think thats it I must have all I need? but then I see something else!!
Not exactly what you areposting but I am sure there are people just like us?????
Oh good, so it's not just me. :)

I have been told that it is possible to buy a caravan and just use it, but where's the fun in that?
Total Posts: 270
Hi Patrick, perhaps you should have called your topic ' I Pimped My Van'.. LOL..
Ozzy..
Many a true word Ozzy...

The other van in my life is of the Ford Transit variety - don't worry, I have a home without wheels as well - and that gets the serious pimping. The only pity is I'm such an incompetent with the tools, still that probably explains why my local garage calls me his retirement fund.
Total Posts: 39
Added a motor mover and a solar panel to ours, changed the bulbs to LED and replaced part of the carped with laminate.
Total Posts: 314
Haven't add anything yet, but give me time!! lol
Total Posts: 155
When all said and done most of us are not satisfied with our vans as standard, my next addition will be a small onboard water tank for when I am travelling across Europe.
I've been wondeing about a small fixed tank as well. While we are on the road we use a two litre bottle for filling the kettle when we stop, but it's a bit small. A five litre starts to get a little unwieldy and either size gets under foot. So a small tank, say 10 to 15 litres, operating through the normal tap would be ideal.

I suppose the sensible system would be that the small tank remains part of the water system and then the external tank constantly refills that. That would mean the water in the onboard tank is constantly being refreshed and that when the external tank is taken away for refilling there is still water on board.

Any thoughts on this? Like, how to do it?
Total Posts: 56
Added a high level brake light increased the wattage of rear lights, rewired the running electrics. Not doing anything else to the current van, wait for the replacement
Total Posts: 270
Evening Patrick, the only way I can see to do this would mean using 2 pumps, one in the internal tank wired in through the fuse box or the back of the water inlet socket (but make sure it won't overload the circuit) and the normal one that you use to pump the water into the system but you will need to use a microswitch on a float that cuts off the water when at a certain level. I can see the idea behind it but think you'd need to consult a dealer for the bits unless anyone else has done this before.. Ozzy
That makes sense Ozzy,

The main pump is easy enough, run that through a relay.

The 'input' pump can run on the standard circuit, but it does need some dort of float operating a microswitch, as you say. I might have a look at CK Tanks, they do all sorts of weird and wonderful things. Including tanks.

Because of other plans, see separate post, I might do this with a direct fill.