See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

General

What do you do?

Total Posts: 11
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 6 years ago
As I have posted earlier I have bought my first secondhand caravan this year and bought a new 110ah battery we have been away for 1 weekend but hope to get away for another before the weather turns.

My question is over the winter should I remove the battery and charge it up every month or leave it on the caravan and run my hook up lead out every month and top it up with the inbuilt charger. or do I need to do something else !!

Thanks

Chas
Total Posts: 18
If you do not need the battery for intruder/tracker alarms etc remove it and keep it in a frost free place. Get a CTEK battery charger which can be left connected all winter to maintain your battery in perfect condition. It will pay for itself in increased battery life.
Total Posts: 270
Hi, Chas, I'm with Bob, the general opinion is that the batteries should be removed from the vans over winter to prevent them from sustaining frost damage and they should be kept in a warm dry well ventillated place giving them a top up charge every now & then ready for next season if you don't need them. If you have an alarm I guess you could always look for a 'cheapy' battery just to put on over the winter to sustaion the alarm.
Ozzy
Total Posts: 11
Thanks guys I will follow your lead and remove and top it up with a charge now and then, I might even get one of those CTEK charges
Total Posts: 39
Mine has always remained on the caravan with it plugged into the mains on the house. I also have a solar panel now as well which is connected to my spare battery as well as the caravan battery.
Total Posts: 314
Leave mine in the van & plugged in to the mains in the garage, never had an problems.
Total Posts: 270
I couldn't leave mine in the van and plugged into the mains, the storage site is 3 miles away and people keep nicking my extension leads..
Total Posts: 155
Tour all year round and it solves the problem and gets you away more, you can't beat it.
Total Posts: 57
Hi, In 28 years of touring I regularly took the battery out over winter, ............for the first two years!
Haven't bothered since and never had a problem.