See All Leaderboard
Monthly Prize Monthly Prize
Yearly Prize Yearly Prize

General

caravan servicing

Total Posts: 169
Please correct the mistakes below:
Posted: 4 years ago
took my van in for a service, reported several faults, a gas ring would not stay alight, and when the toilet was flushed the water came over the top of the rim. i was informed nothing could be found wrong with either fault. i got onto swift talk site and found these were known faults and a restricter is available to insert into the flush pipe and a memo had been sent to all dealers about the gas problem in how to fix fault. informed dealer and was told they had no idea what i was on about regarding the restricter and they have a file 6 inches thick about known faults and just passed them on to maintenance. obviously so busy they have not got time to read memos
Total Posts: 127
Hi Jim
The problem with your gas ring its possible a faulty thermocouple.
And regarding the issue with the toilet flush if you had your caravan from new the flush restrictor should of been in information pack with other parts.
The restrictor is a red plastic tube which is about a inch long.
hi chris, your comments reflect everything swift talk said, but when i told the dealers they looked utterly bemused. have now found caravan has damp around front window and in the bathroom. so i am getting this fixed and will then be selling van, despite it being only 18 months old. will take a hit on the cost but the joy has gone out of this particular van
Hi Jim
I am sorry to here about other issues with your caravan and I hope you get things sorted asap I know how you feel about selling your caravan it knocks the shine off owning a caravan with issues. But we too have look at new caravans but the quality control on most makes is very poor we have seen bits missing or damage on caravans which have just been delivered from the factory.
hi chris, i am looking at an eldiss compass, with 2 fixed single beds. mainly because the dealer is in the next village. have you heard anything about eldiss as a caravan builder
Hi Jim
We to have looked at a couple of Eldiss caravans which are the Avante 550 and the Affinity 550 both have a rear island bed. The only thing I have been told by my caravan service centre Eldiss are a little slow on warranty claims and parts.
cheers chris, i am going to wait till the caravan show and see what eldiss are offering, i heard it was a free mover which would be quite a saving
Total Posts: 190
From my experience all dealers are slow when it comes to warranty claims. I have been waiting 6 weeks for a new sink for my Unicorn Barcelona 2 and I am fitting it myself to save dragging the van into them!
It sounds a good deal but be careful when buying form any show as the caravan dealers may miles from where you live because and your local caravan dealers will do your services but they might not want to do any warranty work as caravan dealers can turn away warranty work if you did not buy from them caravan dealers are not obliged to do any warranty work if they did not supply the caravan so some deals at shows seem a great saving but when things go wrong you don't want to drag you caravan x amount of miles to get any warranty work done. And always pay £100 or more deposit on a credit card even if you have the money in the bank as your credit card will give you protection under the credit act section 75 if any thing goes wrong.
thats what happened with my caravan chris, but the dealer i am looking at is an eldiss dealer and is only 10 minutes up the road, whereas my other dealer (swift) is a 180 mile round trip. plus when i go there i have to see the mother in law i have to take my van in because of the water ingress problem on the 24th and they will be keeping it for a week, so i hope i dont have the same problem as yourself ian